MUJERES will take place at the Chi Movement Arts Center in South Philadelphia, on September 22, 23 at 8PM & Sept 24 at 3pm and 7pm as part of the Philadelphia Fringe Festival 2017. MUJERES is a split bill performance by female choreographers, Annielille Gavino and Evalina Carbonell.
Filipino artist, Annielille Gavino presents “HERstory”, a conceptual dance theater merging the personal with the political context of feminism. It investigates matrilineal bloodlines and ancestry, prior to colonialism. Gavino reconnects with her indigenous past to remind her future of her history and power. This is an interdisciplinary dance work that will include poetry, music and film. HERstory is supported by the Small but Might Art Grant.
Evalina “Wally” Carbonell’s new work, “Milk” deals with give and take, as it relates to the female body and motherhood. Using rhythm, breath, effort, and flow, the cast of dancers pour themselves into dance, relating this movement to motherhood. This work was awarded the Ellen Forman award which will allow Evalina to further her exploration of the project with Drexel University’s dance ensemble.
September 22 and 23 at 8:00pm
September 24 at 3pm and 7pm
Chi Movement Arts Center, 1316 S 9th St, Philadelphia, PA 19147
$20 General Admission
- A Holiday Celebration With An Edge – Brian Sanders’ URBAN SCUBA: ADULT SWIM - November 17, 2017
- Ursinus College Dance Company presents Once Removed, Nov 16-18 - November 9, 2017
- Metropolitan Ballet Company presents COPPÉLIA in annual Family Concert Series, Nov 18-19 - November 8, 2017
- SHARP Dance Company presents HUMANITY, Nov 17-19 - November 4, 2017
- BalletX to hold Groundbreaking for its New Center for World Premiere Choreography - November 1, 2017
- Philadelphia dance stalwarts Subcircle presents HOLD STILL while I figure this out at FringeArts, Nov 16-18 - October 27, 2017
- BalletX kicks off its 12th season with the return of Nicolo Fonte’s Beautiful Decay - October 25, 2017
- Kathanghah Dance Company and Ujima Dance Theatre host Taste A D-Yawd, Nov 18-19 - October 23, 2017
- Donetsk Ballet celebrates 20 years of Nutcracker in Philadelphia, Dec 16-17 - October 22, 2017
- STOMP, the international percussion sensation returns to the Kimmel Center, Dec. 26-31 - October 21, 2017