MUJERES will take place at the Chi Movement Arts Center in South Philadelphia, on September 22, 23 at 8PM & Sept 24 at 3pm and 7pm as part of the Philadelphia Fringe Festival 2017. MUJERES is a split bill performance by female choreographers, Annielille Gavino and Evalina Carbonell.
Filipino artist, Annielille Gavino presents “HERstory”, a conceptual dance theater merging the personal with the political context of feminism. It investigates matrilineal bloodlines and ancestry, prior to colonialism. Gavino reconnects with her indigenous past to remind her future of her history and power. This is an interdisciplinary dance work that will include poetry, music and film. HERstory is supported by the Small but Might Art Grant.
Evalina “Wally” Carbonell’s new work, “Milk” deals with give and take, as it relates to the female body and motherhood. Using rhythm, breath, effort, and flow, the cast of dancers pour themselves into dance, relating this movement to motherhood. This work was awarded the Ellen Forman award which will allow Evalina to further her exploration of the project with Drexel University’s dance ensemble.
September 22 and 23 at 8:00pm
September 24 at 3pm and 7pm
Chi Movement Arts Center, 1316 S 9th St, Philadelphia, PA 19147
$20 General Admission
- Yvonne Rainer’s Lives of Performers + Trio A with Introduction by Philadelphia Dance Projects’ Terry Fox - July 14, 2019
- Big Teeth Performance Collective’s Ordinary Creatures, July 19 - June 30, 2019
- 2019 Fringe Festival Curated Programming for Dance - June 13, 2019
- Almanac Dance Circus Theatre presents The Return of xoxo moongirl June 14-23 - June 6, 2019
- BalletX’s First-Ever Block Party - May 28, 2019
- Philadanco’s 50 Year Legacy - May 28, 2019
- BalletX Announces 2019-20 Season – 8 World Premieres - May 23, 2019
- Works choreographed by Bryan Koulman, featuring dancers of the Pennsylvania Ballet, June 6-8 - May 8, 2019
- BalletX Presents Summer Series 2019 featuring The Little Prince by choreographer Annabelle Lopez Ochoa - May 7, 2019
- Philadelphia hip-hop legend Rennie Harris’ new work Funkedified, June 7-8 - May 7, 2019