MUJERES will take place at the Chi Movement Arts Center in South Philadelphia, on September 22, 23 at 8PM & Sept 24 at 3pm and 7pm as part of the Philadelphia Fringe Festival 2017. MUJERES is a split bill performance by female choreographers, Annielille Gavino and Evalina Carbonell.
Filipino artist, Annielille Gavino presents “HERstory”, a conceptual dance theater merging the personal with the political context of feminism. It investigates matrilineal bloodlines and ancestry, prior to colonialism. Gavino reconnects with her indigenous past to remind her future of her history and power. This is an interdisciplinary dance work that will include poetry, music and film. HERstory is supported by the Small but Might Art Grant.
Evalina “Wally” Carbonell’s new work, “Milk” deals with give and take, as it relates to the female body and motherhood. Using rhythm, breath, effort, and flow, the cast of dancers pour themselves into dance, relating this movement to motherhood. This work was awarded the Ellen Forman award which will allow Evalina to further her exploration of the project with Drexel University’s dance ensemble.
September 22 and 23 at 8:00pm
September 24 at 3pm and 7pm
Chi Movement Arts Center, 1316 S 9th St, Philadelphia, PA 19147
$20 General Admission
- The 9th Philly Tango Fest to take place Memorial Day Weekend, May 24 – 27, 2019 - April 17, 2019
- Bryn Mawr College Dance Program Spring Concert, April 26-27 - April 16, 2019
- Reflection:Response Commission 2019 awarded to Marion Ramírez - April 2, 2019
- The Annenberg Center presents BODYTRAFFIC and A Million Voices choreographed by Matthew Neenan, April 26-27 - March 30, 2019
- The Lady Hoofers’ Annual Spring Concert – On Tap, May 4th - March 20, 2019
- The air is describing us, May 10-11 - March 15, 2019
- FringeArts announces open call to participate in large-scale public dance processional, Úumbal: Nomadic Choreography for Inhabitants - March 5, 2019
- Dawn Marie Bazemore’s DanceVisions Residency Concert, April 19-20 - March 4, 2019
- SHARP Dance Company to perform 669, April 13 - March 3, 2019
- Dance Emerge at Muhlenberg, April 11-14 - March 2, 2019