Debuting in the 2017 Philadelphia Fringe Festival, Splintered Glass features original choreography from Courtney Hunter, a local dancer making her choreographing and producing debut to the Philadelphia dance scene. The concept for the piece examines ethics surrounding Artificial Intelligence and humans playing god. It was inspired by HBO’s Westworld, a television series about Artificial Intelligence. Courtney’s articulate movement captures the embodiment of robotic advancements infused with human emotion.
Splintered Glass is a contemporary dance performance that explores the human desire to understand what lies beyond the surface of reality as we know it. The artists will tell a series of stories that question reality as we perceive it to be on the surface. Who is really in control of the systems we follow? Are we in charge of our future fate or molded as images of individual ego? Everything we think we see has something more beyond it and Splintered Glass invites you to take a deeper look.
Guest artists are Tiffany Delio and Daniela Galdi of the Blind Faith Project Dance Company. The Blind Faith Project will perform a piece inspired by Rene Magritte’s The Son of Man. This will be the Blind Faith Project Dance Company’s third time performing in the Philadelphia Fringe Festival. The Blind Faith Project was started in 2009 by the University of the Arts alumnae who were eager to produce works that positively impact culture through dance. Additional choreography by Daniela Galdi will breathe life into the history of local Philadelphia statues and sculptures, including the Freedom Sculpture by Zenos Frudakis.
Splintered Glass will be held on September 16, 2017 at 8:00pm at The Performance Garage at 1515 Brandywine Street, Philadelphia PA 19130. Doors open at 7:30pm. Ticket cost is $20 at the door or purchased online at through http://fringearts.com/event/splintered-glass/. Street parking available.
- Yvonne Rainer’s Lives of Performers + Trio A with Introduction by Philadelphia Dance Projects’ Terry Fox - July 14, 2019
- Big Teeth Performance Collective’s Ordinary Creatures, July 19 - June 30, 2019
- 2019 Fringe Festival Curated Programming for Dance - June 13, 2019
- Almanac Dance Circus Theatre presents The Return of xoxo moongirl June 14-23 - June 6, 2019
- BalletX’s First-Ever Block Party - May 28, 2019
- Philadanco’s 50 Year Legacy - May 28, 2019
- BalletX Announces 2019-20 Season – 8 World Premieres - May 23, 2019
- Works choreographed by Bryan Koulman, featuring dancers of the Pennsylvania Ballet, June 6-8 - May 8, 2019
- BalletX Presents Summer Series 2019 featuring The Little Prince by choreographer Annabelle Lopez Ochoa - May 7, 2019
- Philadelphia hip-hop legend Rennie Harris’ new work Funkedified, June 7-8 - May 7, 2019