STORM is Asya Zlatina’s second choreographed evening-length work following BARRY: Mamaloshen in Dance! (2016) Autobiographical in nature, the work fleshes out Gustav Holst’s powerful Planets Suite. The characters in STORM exhibit extreme emotional states, but ultimately represent the varying beautiful and petrifying emotions which can all be found in a single human being. The score, originally premiered in 1918 in London, is nearing a centennial.
STORM started as a solo for one woman in a painful period of change and growth in her life. While trying to find the right music for the inner storm and turmoil of this individual, Asya stumbled upon Gustav Holst’s powerful Planets Suite on the radio. Taken by the full Suite, the idea for a show giving physicality to the musical masterpiece materialized. Just as human beings exist in many states and run through differing emotions, we witness onstage the characters of STORM enjoy being childish, playful, mature, sexual, brooding, joyous, cruel.
Asya Zlatina was born in Moscow, and grew up training in the DC/Baltimore area. After her time at the Kirov Academy, Dance Explosion (Glen Burnie), the Washington Ballet School and Goucher College, she joined the Koresh Dance Company in 2008. She now serves as adjunct professor of ballet and modern at Stockton University. She has a BA in Dance and Psychology from Goucher and an MS in Arts Administration from Drexel University.
Thursday, September 14 @ 7:30pm, preceded by a reception
Sunday, September 17 @ 2:30pm and 4:30pm, followed by a Q + A with the dancers.
Performance Garage, 1515 Brandywine St., Philadelphia
Tickets are $15 and are available for purchase at the door, as well as online at http://www.danceboxoffice.com/?page_id=1107
- BalletX Spring and Summer Series 2020 Canceled - May 27, 2020
- Ballet, movement, imagination, and more with ZoomDance - May 18, 2020
- BalletX Says Farewell to Longtime Company Member Caili Quan – Welcomes Two New Dancers Savannah Green and Ashley Simpson - May 14, 2020
- Restorative Contact for Quarantine Buddies with Gabrielle Revlock - April 14, 2020
- The Lady Hoofers Tap Ensemble Spreads Joy Remotely During Pandemic - March 24, 2020
- ARTIST HOUSE / Asya Zlatina + Dancers present CARRY ON, Virtually April 2 at 12:30 pm - March 23, 2020
- Jeanine Durning Teaches two workshops in Philadelphia – POSTPONED - March 10, 2020
- Bill T. Jones, Deep Blue Sea is coming to the Mann, May 8-9 - March 2, 2020
- Philadelphia Dance Projects Presents A Provocative Evening of Screendance and Live Dance – POSTPONED - February 28, 2020
- Metropolitan Ballet’s 2020 Variations/Collaborations, POSTPONED - February 26, 2020