Group Motion, Philadelphia’s longest running contemporary dance company, continues with its Spiel Uhr Series presenting new performance works on June 4th, 7pm at the CEC’s Meetinghouse Theater, 3500 Lancaster Avenue, Philadelphia. Works include Solo Not Alone by San Francisco based choreographer, Aura Fischbeck, and Syria – A Fractal of We with music and video by New York based composer Niloufar Nourbakhsh, dance by the Group Motion Company, live music by Tom Motzer, and direction by Manfred Fischbeck. Partial proceeds will be donated to UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency.
Solo Not Alone began as an inquiry into the collective nature of the individual. Ms. Fischbeck began her process by collecting choreographic prompts from friends and mentors, which came about from a desire to feel herself as an artist reconfigured through the lens of others; to decentralize herself inside of a solo practice. She believes that we all perform for one another throughout our lives, having moments center stage and on the sidelines, but that the two need one another to co-exist. She invites you to witness her dance, and to complete the work by bringing another layer of influence that is only yours to give.
Directed by Manfred Fischbeck, Syria – a fractal of WE is an homage to the Syrian refugee crisis, and is inspired by a video with musical composition by Niloufar Nourbakhsh. It divides into two parts: first, a solo is performed by Mary-Carmen Webb that draws movement from images in the video; the second half includes group choreography based on those movements with live music by Tim Motzer. Nourbakhsh says her video and composition “explores two ways of understanding the complexity of the Middle East in mathematical terms: 1. The Middle East seems like a fractal that keeps reproducing its flawed system; and 2. Humans altogether can be seen as a fractal, and thus, we cannot be indifferent to the Syrian refugees’ crisis.”
Tickets are $20 general admission and $15 for student and artists. For more information and tickets go to www.groupmotion.org
Group Motion observes and expresses the human experience through movement, seeing dance as a universally accessible language. Our mission is to promote dance and movement as vehicles for personal and artistic expression, education, transformation and collaboration. This mission manifests through the following mediums: a professional modern dance company dedicated to the exploration and performance of multi media dance theater, ongoing improvisational movement workshops for the public, classes, and educational outreach, exchange with other local, national and international artists, and bi-annual platforms to create and present new work for established and emerging professional artists (Spiel Uhr) and for community members (Performance Project).
Group Motion’s Spiel Uhr Series
June 4th, 7:00PM
Meetinghouse Theater CEC, 3500 Lancaster Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19104
Tickets $20 and $15 (Students and Artists)
**Partial proceeds will be donated to UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency.
- Kulu Mele African Dance & Drum Ensemble premieres Journey, Dec 1 - November 16, 2018
- Bryn Mawr College Performing Arts Series Presents Abby Z and the New Utility, Dec 7-8 - November 5, 2018
- The Lady Hoofers Kick Off the Holiday Season with The Tapcracker, Dec 8 - November 5, 2018
- Pennsylvania Ballet Celebrates 50 Years of Performing The Nutcracker - November 2, 2018
- Pennsylvania Ballet Petite Mort, Nov 8-11 - October 31, 2018
- SHARP Dance Company presents FAÇADE, November 2-4 - October 17, 2018
- Kun-Yang Lin/Dancers Fall Season Highlights New Works, Nov 9-10 - October 16, 2018
- PIMA Group and Christina Gesualdi/Jesse Kudler, November 10 - October 14, 2018
- Bill Shannon’s Touch Update explores social constructs surrounding disabled bodies - October 12, 2018
- Leah Stein Dance Company’s Second Season of Studio Works - October 10, 2018