Bryan Koulman Dance Company presents an evening of live chamber music and a blend of contemporary ballet and modern dance. From Russian composer Mikhail Ivanovich Glinka to 20th century composer Béla Bartók, this diverse body of work will inspire audiences to re-imagine the relationship between dance and music.
In the company’s third consecutive performance, Koulman showcases a highly talented group of 11 dancers, including Austin Eyler and Sydney Dolan, both members of the Pennsylvania Ballet, and Heather Holajter, a former member of the Colorado Ballet. The dancers will demonstrate the technical purity of Koulman’s choreography, in five original works ranging from a traditional ballet to a dark and violent comedy. The renowned Fairmount Strings will accompany the performance. Musicians Beth Dzwil, Rebecca Harris, Benjamin Hoffman, Mimi Morris-Kim, and Rachel Segal will perform some of the greatest and most technically challenging music in the classical canon.
Koulman prides himself on creating movement that has a dynamic and creative relationship to classical music, due to his previous study in piano and French horn. His balletic movement is expressively intertwined with the live music, creating a compelling theatrical experience for the audience.
Bryan Koulman (choreographer) began studying modern dance at Swarthmore College in 1979. After performing professionally with the Milwaukee Ballet and the North Carolina Dance Theater, he began performing, teaching and choreographing in Philadelphia and New York. The recipient of a choreographic fellowship from the Pennsylvania Council on the Arts, his work has been presented in the Merce Cunningham Studio in New York and the Painted Bride in Philadelphia. He received an MFA from the Tisch School of the Arts in 1991 and presently teaches ballet at the Pennsylvania Academy of Ballet in Narberth, PA. In the spring of 2016, he collaborated with the Circus School of Philadelphia in a production of the full-length ballet ‘The Magic Toyshop’, presented at the Upper Darby Performing Arts Center. In addition to his dance activities, Bryan Koulman creates software in the legal arena for Younts Consulting which is located in Bethesda, Maryland.
The Fairmount String Quartet and the Fairmount Chamber Ensemble have been providing the highest quality live music for chamber music concerts, full orchestra performances and private events since 1984. Fairmount Strings is a diverse group of performers with a reputation for the highest standard of musicianship. In addition to performances at chamber music series, such as Candlelight Concerts at Laurel Hill Mansion and Kent Chamber Music Series, Fairmount Strings holds a commitment to education and dedication to local and global communities, performing frequently at schools and benefits. Their spirit of positive collaboration creates memorable performances, whether working alone or with conductors, choirs, dancers and musicians of all abilities.
Bryan Koulman Dance Company Spring Performance
Friday, June 9th, 2017 at 8:00 pm
Performance Garage, 1515 Brandywine Street, Philadelphia, PA 19130
$25 General admission. Tickets on line at http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/2903174
Photo credit: Lauren Hirsch
- The Annenberg Center Presents the Philadelphia Debut of Ephrat Asherie, February 7-8 - January 22, 2020
- The Annenberg Center Presents Paul Taylor Dance Company, January 24-25 - January 17, 2020
- BeijingDance/LDTX premieres at Drexel, Feb. 14 & 15 - January 13, 2020
- A multi-generational cast of women come together in HOMEbody, Feb 22 - January 10, 2020
- Cunningham opens in Philadelphia - January 9, 2020
- Soledad Barrio & Noche Flamenca Return to Philadelphia, Jan 15 – Feb 2 - January 9, 2020
- Nickerson-Rossi Dance offers a Performance and Educational Dance Series, Jan 17-19 - December 31, 2019
- The International Association of Blacks in Dance (IABD) comes to Philadelphia, Jan 14-19 - December 20, 2019
- Philadelphia Dance Projects (PDP) presents DANCE UP CLOSE, Jan 22-23 & Feb 26-27 - December 19, 2019
- The Annenberg Center Presents PHILADANCO’s Xmas Philes, Dec. 12-14 - December 5, 2019