Leah Stein Dance Company’s Portraits: Duets for a More Perfect Union? will premiere at Woodmere Art Museum as part of the exhibit “A More Perfect Union? Power, Sex, and Race in the Representation of Couples.” The performance will be held in the galleries on May 20 at 6:00 pm. The cost is $22 for general admission and $12 for museum members. Seating is limited and reservations are recommended. Tickets will be available via the Woodmere Art Museum website or at the door.
Portraits: Duets for a More Perfect Union? is a series of duets created for the gallery space at the historic Woodmere Art Museum. Inspired by select works in the exhibit, Portraits integrates the architecture of the space and the body to activate the images. The performance creates a textured layering of couples’ multiple viewpoints and speaks to the complexities, passion, tension, vulnerabilities and strength of human connections. This work gives audience members an intimate look at couples while breaking expectations of race, gender and orientation using movement, sound and text.
The exhibit A More Perfect Union? Power, Sex and Race in the Representation of Couples explores changing ideas about marriage and artists’ depictions of couples from the time of the American Revolution to the present. With a purposeful question mark in its title, this exhibition asks how artists over the years have responded to changing societal attitudes in the representation of human relationships. The exhibition includes painting, drawing, photography, sculpture, printmaking, and graphic work, as well as both fine art and popular culture imagery. Artists address issues pertaining to differences in social class, race, and gender roles within the marriage union, the purpose of sexual activity whether for procreation or personal fulfillment, the nature of sexual orientation, and public versus private expressions of love.
Featured performers and collaborators include: Leah Stein, Jungwoong Kim, David Konyk, Germaine Ingram, Diane Monroe, Megan Wilson Stern, Michele Tantoco.
Leah Stein Dance Company will offer a movement workshop at Woodmere that invites participants to move playfully in a relaxed setting. Simple grounding exercises and activities are followed by explorations in improvisational movement, sound and gesture. This class, open to all, will be held on May 18 from 6:00 – 7:30 pm at Woodmere Art Museum. Registration for this class and more information will be available at woodmereartmuseum.org.
Now in its 15th anniversary season, Leah Stein Dance Company creates site-specific performances that invoke and illuminate the living histories of built and natural spaces. Working in close collaboration with cross-disciplinary creative artists, Stein stirs new perspectives about the interactions between people, their communities, and the physical environment. LSDC has created work for major sites throughout the region, including the Fairmount Water Works, Eastern State Penitentiary, Longwood Gardens, Christ Church Burial Ground, and Bartram’s Gardens, among others. LSDC has performed in Poland, Romania, Japan, Scotland, and across the US. From 2006-2015 LSDC undertook major collaborations with the Mendelssohn Club Chorus under the direction of Alan Harler. Leah Stein Dance Company maintains active outreach programs for youth, seniors and community dance community through open Voice/Movement workshops. To learn more visit http://www.leahsteindanc
- Lightbox Film Center Celebrates Legacy of Ed Emshwiller in First-of-its-Kind Retrospective Exhibit - November 11, 2019
- Project Moshen Tackles Ovarian Cancer with Excerpts - October 29, 2019
- The Pew Center for Arts & Heritage Announces 2019 Grants for Philadelphia Artists, Organizations - October 21, 2019
- Kun-Yang Lin/Dancers (KYL/D) Announces Four New Dance Artists for the 2019/2020 season - October 11, 2019
- SUPPER, People on the Move! performed by the Cardell Dance Theater comes to Drexel, Nov 8-10 - October 9, 2019
- Koresh 6th Annual Come Together Dance Festival, November 20-24 - October 9, 2019
- Metropolitan Ballet Company presents Peter Pan, Nov 23-24 - October 7, 2019
- Taj Express: The Bollywood Musical Revue, Nov 14 - October 7, 2019
- SHARP Dance Company takes A Trip Back to the Original Woodstock with their home season revival of Aquarian Exposition, Nov 1-3 - October 7, 2019
- Perspectives A Presentation of New Work by Temple University Dance B.F.A. Seniors, Nov 22-23 - October 7, 2019