SHARP Dance Company opens its Spring season with Act One / Act Two in time for Mother’s Day weekend on May 12 & 13 at the Performance Garage, 1515 Brandywine Street in Philadelphia. The dance concert will feature the premiere of Chosen, choreographed by Joeseph Cotler and set on the company. A graduate of The University of the Arts, Joe has been a member of the Koresh Dance company since 2010.
Guest choreographers on the bill include Asya Zlatina (Philadelphia, PA) and Elizabeth Shea Dance (Bloomington, Indiana). Zlatina will be presenting her 2016 Fringe Festival hit, BARRY: Mamaloshen in Dance! A tribute to her grandparents, Zlatina’s work is a celebration of life, highlighting hope and pain as one. The past is illuminated through dance to the music of the famous Yiddish swing duo, the Barry Sisters.
Elizabeth Shea’s The Rise of Otherness explores humanity’s instinctive behaviors that separate and classify. This high-energy ensemble work for six dancers fast-forwards through time, examining the roots of community, our race toward enlightenment, and what happens along the way. An eclectic sound score that includes musical selections by Handel and Phillip Glass, mingles with text and NASA-recorded space sounds to support a rapidly changing culture.
In honor of Mother’s Day, SHARP Dance is offering a special Tea event in the Performance Garage lobby and a chance to meet the dancers on Saturday only from 6:30 – 7:30pm between their two shows. Tea tickets are an addition $15 per person.
SHARP Dance Company is a nine-member modern dance company based out of Philadelphia, PA. SHARP performs nationally and internationally and has been seen in such festivals as the: Bedfringe (UK), Chicago Fringe, Phoenix Fringe, Seacoast Fringe, Cool NY, STEPS Performance Lab (NY), Fringe Wilmington and the Philadelphia International Festival of the Arts (PIFA). Artistic Director Diane Sharp-Nachsin was also named a BAU Fellow in Italy in 2013. SHARP strives to bring together a company of strong dancers to perform work with a new vision. Their mission is to translate raw human emotion utilizing contemporary movement to connect the audience through individual interpretation. With a theory of “meaning behind movement”, which is shown prominently throughout their work, SHARP believes dance should be more than a performance, it should be an experience.
Featured dancers for this performance are Caroline Butcher, Linnea Calzada Charma, Sandra Davis, Sophie Malin, Kyan Namazi, Leslie Ann Pike, Miguel Quiñones, Kate Rast and Angeli Romano.
Act One / Act Two
SHARP Dance Company
May 12, 2017 at 8pm
May 13, 2017 at 5pm & 8pm
General Admission $25 , Students & Seniors $20
Information & Tickets – http://www.sharpdance.org/SHARP_Dance_Company/BUY_TICKETS.html
- Yvonne Rainer’s Lives of Performers + Trio A with Introduction by Philadelphia Dance Projects’ Terry Fox - July 14, 2019
- Big Teeth Performance Collective’s Ordinary Creatures, July 19 - June 30, 2019
- 2019 Fringe Festival Curated Programming for Dance - June 13, 2019
- Almanac Dance Circus Theatre presents The Return of xoxo moongirl June 14-23 - June 6, 2019
- BalletX’s First-Ever Block Party - May 28, 2019
- Philadanco’s 50 Year Legacy - May 28, 2019
- BalletX Announces 2019-20 Season – 8 World Premieres - May 23, 2019
- Works choreographed by Bryan Koulman, featuring dancers of the Pennsylvania Ballet, June 6-8 - May 8, 2019
- BalletX Presents Summer Series 2019 featuring The Little Prince by choreographer Annabelle Lopez Ochoa - May 7, 2019
- Philadelphia hip-hop legend Rennie Harris’ new work Funkedified, June 7-8 - May 7, 2019