Tangle Movement Arts presents Points of Light, a new compilation of aerial dance from Philadelphia’s innovative circus-theater artists. Weaving stories of hope, hard-won balance, and unexpected connection with live performances on trapeze and aerial silks, Points of Light premieres at Old City’s Neighborhood House on April 7-8, 2017.
Points of Light’s nine acrobats use trapeze and aerial silks to offer tales of women traveling blindfolded, surviving under the weight of the earth, and climbing to new heights. Tangle brings these intimate portrayals of shared support and individual persistence to the historic Great Hall in Old City’s Neighborhood House.
“Bridging movement, music, and spoken word, Points of Light shares fresh stories to support and sustain,” says Tangle founder Lauren Rile Smith. “Tangle’s aerial performance aims to push the boundaries of what you can expect to see in a circus show, and we’re thrilled to be working in the unique, grand space of Neighborhood House’s Great Hall.”
Tangle Movement Arts is a circus arts company with a contemporary twist, whose work integrates traditional circus like trapeze and aerial silks with dance, theater, and spoken word to tell a multi-dimensional story. Tangle’s work reflects individuals of diverse identities, with an emphasis on queer and female experiences, and is devised collaboratively by its all-female ensemble.
Tangle is based in Philadelphia and has been a Philly FringeArts Festival favorite since its inception in 2011. Philadelphia Weekly says Tangle “blends circus-style acrobatics with a smart theatrical spin.”
Points of Light premieres at Christ Church Neighborhood House (20 N. American Street) on Friday April 7th (8pm), and Saturday April 8th (3pm and 8pm). Tickets ($10-20) are available via www.tangle-arts.com.
***photo credit: Michael Ermilio
- BalletX Announces 2019-20 Season – 8 World Premieres - May 23, 2019
- Works choreographed by Bryan Koulman, featuring dancers of the Pennsylvania Ballet, June 6-8 - May 8, 2019
- BalletX Presents Summer Series 2019 featuring The Little Prince by choreographer Annabelle Lopez Ochoa - May 7, 2019
- Philadelphia hip-hop legend Rennie Harris’ new work Funkedified, June 7-8 - May 7, 2019
- Almanac Dance Circus Theatre Brings Back Communitas: Five Years Later May 16-25 - May 7, 2019
- The Annenberg Center Presents Season-Closer, Parsons Dance, May 10-11 - May 6, 2019
- Tori Lawrence + Co. returns to Philadelphia with a preview of JUNKSPACE, May 12 - May 6, 2019
- The air is describing us, May 10-11 - April 30, 2019
- The Lady Hoofers’ Annual Spring Concert – On Tap, May 4th - April 20, 2019
- The 9th Philly Tango Fest to take place Memorial Day Weekend, May 24 – 27, 2019 - April 17, 2019