Tangle Movement Arts presents Points of Light, a new compilation of aerial dance from Philadelphia’s innovative circus-theater artists. Weaving stories of hope, hard-won balance, and unexpected connection with live performances on trapeze and aerial silks, Points of Light premieres at Old City’s Neighborhood House on April 7-8, 2017.
Points of Light’s nine acrobats use trapeze and aerial silks to offer tales of women traveling blindfolded, surviving under the weight of the earth, and climbing to new heights. Tangle brings these intimate portrayals of shared support and individual persistence to the historic Great Hall in Old City’s Neighborhood House.
“Bridging movement, music, and spoken word, Points of Light shares fresh stories to support and sustain,” says Tangle founder Lauren Rile Smith. “Tangle’s aerial performance aims to push the boundaries of what you can expect to see in a circus show, and we’re thrilled to be working in the unique, grand space of Neighborhood House’s Great Hall.”
Tangle Movement Arts is a circus arts company with a contemporary twist, whose work integrates traditional circus like trapeze and aerial silks with dance, theater, and spoken word to tell a multi-dimensional story. Tangle’s work reflects individuals of diverse identities, with an emphasis on queer and female experiences, and is devised collaboratively by its all-female ensemble.
Tangle is based in Philadelphia and has been a Philly FringeArts Festival favorite since its inception in 2011. Philadelphia Weekly says Tangle “blends circus-style acrobatics with a smart theatrical spin.”
Points of Light premieres at Christ Church Neighborhood House (20 N. American Street) on Friday April 7th (8pm), and Saturday April 8th (3pm and 8pm). Tickets ($10-20) are available via www.tangle-arts.com.
***photo credit: Michael Ermilio
- Après moi, l’obscurité by Paige Phillips, Jan 26-27 - December 12, 2017
- SHARE at The Iron Factory, Dec 9 - December 4, 2017
- Pennsylvania Ballet Presents George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker®, Dec 8-31 - November 21, 2017
- Ballet 180 Presents Nutcracker Sweets, Dec 16th - November 21, 2017
- Donetsk Ballet celebrates 20 years of Nutcracker in Philadelphia, Dec 16-17 - November 21, 2017
- Pennsylvania Ballet Trustees Appoint Shelly Power as Executive Director - November 21, 2017
- STOMP, the international percussion sensation returns to the Kimmel Center, Dec. 26-31 - November 19, 2017
- Megan Flynn Dance Company presents A Piece of This Place: A Pop-Up Performance on Dec 9th - November 18, 2017
- Miguel Gutierrez’s DEEP AEROBICS, Dec 2nd - November 17, 2017
- Project Moshen Dance Company’s EXCERPTS to benefit Morris Animal Refuge, Dec 2 - November 17, 2017