Shut Up & Dance is an annual benefit performance produced by Dancers of Pennsylvania Ballet for Metropolitan Area Neighborhood Nutrition Alliance (MANNA) which will take place this year on Saturday, April 29 at the Forrest Theatre at 8 pm. Each year, Dancers of Pennsylvania Ballet come together to perform unique pieces for a night of entertainment. This year’s performance is particularly monumental as it marks the 25th anniversary year of Shut Up & Dance.
Each Shut Up & Dance ticket purchased provides nourishing meals to MANNA clients battling life- threatening illness, such as HIV/AIDS, cancer, diabetes and renal disease. Last year, the event raised more than $150,000, providing more than 37,500 meals for MANNA clients.
Pennsylvania Ballet Principal Dancer Ian Hussey returns as Producing Director for his sixth year. Hussey has participated in Shut Up & Dance since 2004.
Hussey said, “I think being a dancer and being able to put on a show like this – one that brings so much joy to the MANNA family and the dance community – is incredible. The fact that we get to do this for such an amazing cause, and having been able to raise over $150,000 last year for MANNA , most of us don’t ever really get a chance to do something like that. And we get to do it every year. It’s incredibly rewarding.”
Shut Up & Dance is bringing back to the stage host Martha Graham Cracker for the second year. After
last year’s success, MANNA could not be more excited to have her back. Tickets are available for purchase at www.mannapa.org/dance.
In addition to the performance, two exclusive parties are held before and after the show. Philanthropist Steven Korman hosts the 6:00 pm VIP party at The Forrest Theatre, featuring cocktails, food and refreshments by Di Bruno Brothers and the MANNA kitchen. Tickets for the VIP party are also available on www.mannapa.org/dance. The official Shut Up & Dance after-party at Voyeur Nightclub is open to all ticket holders and begins immediately following the performance.
Event sponsors include: Silver Sponsor: Zurich. Bronze Sponsors: Jefferson University Hospital, Independence Foundation, 20/20 Visual Media, and Penn Jersey Paper. Media Sponsor: 6abc.
- Yvonne Rainer’s Lives of Performers + Trio A with Introduction by Philadelphia Dance Projects’ Terry Fox - July 14, 2019
- Big Teeth Performance Collective’s Ordinary Creatures, July 19 - June 30, 2019
- 2019 Fringe Festival Curated Programming for Dance - June 13, 2019
- Almanac Dance Circus Theatre presents The Return of xoxo moongirl June 14-23 - June 6, 2019
- BalletX’s First-Ever Block Party - May 28, 2019
- Philadanco’s 50 Year Legacy - May 28, 2019
- BalletX Announces 2019-20 Season – 8 World Premieres - May 23, 2019
- Works choreographed by Bryan Koulman, featuring dancers of the Pennsylvania Ballet, June 6-8 - May 8, 2019
- BalletX Presents Summer Series 2019 featuring The Little Prince by choreographer Annabelle Lopez Ochoa - May 7, 2019
- Philadelphia hip-hop legend Rennie Harris’ new work Funkedified, June 7-8 - May 7, 2019