Shut Up & Dance is an annual benefit performance produced by Dancers of Pennsylvania Ballet for Metropolitan Area Neighborhood Nutrition Alliance (MANNA) which will take place this year on Saturday, April 29 at the Forrest Theatre at 8 pm. Each year, Dancers of Pennsylvania Ballet come together to perform unique pieces for a night of entertainment. This year’s performance is particularly monumental as it marks the 25th anniversary year of Shut Up & Dance.
Each Shut Up & Dance ticket purchased provides nourishing meals to MANNA clients battling life- threatening illness, such as HIV/AIDS, cancer, diabetes and renal disease. Last year, the event raised more than $150,000, providing more than 37,500 meals for MANNA clients.
Pennsylvania Ballet Principal Dancer Ian Hussey returns as Producing Director for his sixth year. Hussey has participated in Shut Up & Dance since 2004.
Hussey said, “I think being a dancer and being able to put on a show like this – one that brings so much joy to the MANNA family and the dance community – is incredible. The fact that we get to do this for such an amazing cause, and having been able to raise over $150,000 last year for MANNA , most of us don’t ever really get a chance to do something like that. And we get to do it every year. It’s incredibly rewarding.”
Shut Up & Dance is bringing back to the stage host Martha Graham Cracker for the second year. After
last year’s success, MANNA could not be more excited to have her back. Tickets are available for purchase at www.mannapa.org/dance.
In addition to the performance, two exclusive parties are held before and after the show. Philanthropist Steven Korman hosts the 6:00 pm VIP party at The Forrest Theatre, featuring cocktails, food and refreshments by Di Bruno Brothers and the MANNA kitchen. Tickets for the VIP party are also available on www.mannapa.org/dance. The official Shut Up & Dance after-party at Voyeur Nightclub is open to all ticket holders and begins immediately following the performance.
Event sponsors include: Silver Sponsor: Zurich. Bronze Sponsors: Jefferson University Hospital, Independence Foundation, 20/20 Visual Media, and Penn Jersey Paper. Media Sponsor: 6abc.
- Après moi, l’obscurité by Paige Phillips, Jan 26-27 - December 12, 2017
- SHARE at The Iron Factory, Dec 9 - December 4, 2017
- Pennsylvania Ballet Presents George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker®, Dec 8-31 - November 21, 2017
- Ballet 180 Presents Nutcracker Sweets, Dec 16th - November 21, 2017
- Donetsk Ballet celebrates 20 years of Nutcracker in Philadelphia, Dec 16-17 - November 21, 2017
- Pennsylvania Ballet Trustees Appoint Shelly Power as Executive Director - November 21, 2017
- STOMP, the international percussion sensation returns to the Kimmel Center, Dec. 26-31 - November 19, 2017
- Megan Flynn Dance Company presents A Piece of This Place: A Pop-Up Performance on Dec 9th - November 18, 2017
- Miguel Gutierrez’s DEEP AEROBICS, Dec 2nd - November 17, 2017
- Project Moshen Dance Company’s EXCERPTS to benefit Morris Animal Refuge, Dec 2 - November 17, 2017