1812 Productions, Philadelphia’s all comedy theatre company, is pleased to present a one-night-only return engagement of Why I’m Scared of Dance by Jen Childs. This is a special performance benefiting The Chorister Academy of Saint Peter’s Church in Center City, Philadelphia.
The Chorister Academy of Saint Peter’s Church, whose members range in age from 6-17, has been chosen to be choir in residence at St. Paul’s Cathedral in London. Funds raised through this performance of Why I’m Scared of Dance by Jen Childs will help offset travel expenditures, ensuring that all of the children in the choir will be able to participate in this once in a lifetime experience.
Winner of the 2016 Barrymore Award for Outstanding Leading Actress, Jennifer Childs premiered Why I’m Scared of Dance by Jen Childs at 1812 Productions in 2010. A one-woman tour through jazz, tap, hip-hop and ballet, Ms. Childs takes the stage to talk about working solo on the world’s greatest equalizer, the dance floor. Why I’m Scared of Dance by Jen Childs is part stand-up, part clown, part storytelling, and lots of dance—her way.
An audience favorite, Why I’m Scared of Dance by Jen Childs went on to be performed at Pittsburgh’s City Theatre, Act II Playhouse, Delaware Theatre Company, and The John Michael Kohler Arts Center.
This benefit performance of Why I’m Scared of Dance by Jen Childs will be performed on Monday, April 3rd at 7:30pm at Plays & Players Theatre in Center City. All tickets are $25 and can be purchased at www.1812productions.org or at 215-592-9560.
About 1812 Productions
1812 Productions was founded in 1997 and is the only professional theater company in the country dedicated to comedy. With a focus on devised and original works, 1812 Productions’ mission is to produce theatrical works of comedy and comedic works of theatre that explore and celebrate our sense of community, our history, and our humanity. Visit www.1812productions.org.
Jennifer Childs (Writer/ Performer): Jennifer Childs is the Producing Artistic Director and Co-Founder of 1812 Productions. For 1812 she has created over a dozen original works of theater including This Is The Week That Is, Always a Lady, Our Show of Shows, Cherry Bomb, It’s My Party: The Women and Comedy Project, To The Moon, and I Will Not Go Gently, which was recently honored with three Barrymore Award nominations for Outstanding Overall Production of a Musical, Outstanding Leading Actress in a Musical (winner), and Outstanding Original Music. Her one-woman show Why I’m Scared of Dance by Jen Childs premiered at 1812 and has since been performed at Delaware Theatre Company, the Kohler Arts Center in Wisconsin, Act II Playhouse, and City Theatre in Pittsburgh. Favorite performances outside of 1812 include The Happiness Lecture with Bill Irwin at Philadelphia Theater Company, Spin at the Wilma Theater, and Red Herring and Dex and Julie Sittin’ in a Tree at Arden Theatre Company.
- Après moi, l’obscurité by Paige Phillips, Jan 26-27 - December 12, 2017
- SHARE at The Iron Factory, Dec 9 - December 4, 2017
- Pennsylvania Ballet Presents George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker®, Dec 8-31 - November 21, 2017
- Ballet 180 Presents Nutcracker Sweets, Dec 16th - November 21, 2017
- Donetsk Ballet celebrates 20 years of Nutcracker in Philadelphia, Dec 16-17 - November 21, 2017
- Pennsylvania Ballet Trustees Appoint Shelly Power as Executive Director - November 21, 2017
- STOMP, the international percussion sensation returns to the Kimmel Center, Dec. 26-31 - November 19, 2017
- Megan Flynn Dance Company presents A Piece of This Place: A Pop-Up Performance on Dec 9th - November 18, 2017
- Miguel Gutierrez’s DEEP AEROBICS, Dec 2nd - November 17, 2017
- Project Moshen Dance Company’s EXCERPTS to benefit Morris Animal Refuge, Dec 2 - November 17, 2017