The Department of Music and Dance and the William J. Cooper Foundation at Swarthmore College present works of dance from SydneyDance Company on Friday, Feb. 24, 2017 at 8 p.m. in the Lang Performing Arts Center’s Pearson-Hall Theater (Main Stage), 500 College Ave, Swarthmore, Pennsylvania. All events are free and open to the public. No reservation is required.
Sydney Dance Company is a legendary force in Australian contemporary dance. Company performances have appeared on the great dance stages of the world, from the Sydney Opera House in Australia to the Joyce Theatre in New York, the Grand in Shanghai, and the Stanislavsky in Moscow. Its dancers have left audiences breathless, presented Australian art to the world, and brought the world to Australia. Actively creating and touring new work under the artistic directorship of Rafael Bonachela, the Company maintains an ensemble of 16 exceptional dancers.
Rafael Bonachela has been the artistic director for Sydney Dance Company since 2009. He has created several pieces for Sydney Dance and is the choreographer for Frame of Mind (2015), which won the 2015 Helpmann Awards for best choreography and dance work. His internationally recognized talent has seen him work not only with contemporary dancers at the highest level but also with artists from popular culture. As a choreographer, he has been commissioned to make works for Candoco, George Piper Dances, ITDANSA, Danza Contemporanea de Cuba, Transitions Dance Company, and Dance Works Rotterdam amongst others.
In addition to the Friday evening performance, on Thursday, Feb. 23, 2017, SydneyDance Company will offer a Q and A discussion with the company from noon—1 p.m. in the Boyer Dance Studio and a Master Class from 4:30-6 p.m. in the Troy Lab Studio both in the Lang Performing Arts Center. These are designed for interested intermediate and advanced dance students to learn choreography from the company’s repertory pieces.
Friday, Feb. 24, 2017 at 8 p.m
Swarthmore College, Lang Performing Arts Center’s Pearson-Hall Theater (Main Stage), 500 College Ave, Swarthmore, PA
FREE, no reservation required.
More information: email@example.com or call 610-328-8260
***Photo Credit: Pedro Greig
- The Annenberg Center Presents PHILADANCO’s Xmas Philes, Dec. 12-14 - December 5, 2019
- George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker® Returns to Pennsylvania Ballet, Dec 6-31 - November 27, 2019
- BalletX Presents Fall Series 2019, Dec 4-15 - November 27, 2019
- Philly Kerplop, a supercrew of all styles dancers and musicians, presents Blaow! Cosmos? - November 16, 2019
- The Lady Hoofers Tap Ensemble Establishes Residence On Broad Street With The Tapcracker, Dec 14-15 - November 14, 2019
- Lightbox Film Center Celebrates Legacy of Ed Emshwiller in First-of-its-Kind Retrospective Exhibit - November 11, 2019
- Project Moshen Tackles Ovarian Cancer with Excerpts - October 29, 2019
- The Pew Center for Arts & Heritage Announces 2019 Grants for Philadelphia Artists, Organizations - October 21, 2019
- Kun-Yang Lin/Dancers (KYL/D) Announces Four New Dance Artists for the 2019/2020 season - October 11, 2019
- Koresh 6th Annual Come Together Dance Festival, November 20-24 - October 9, 2019