The Department of Music and Dance and the William J. Cooper Foundation at Swarthmore College present works of dance from SydneyDance Company on Friday, Feb. 24, 2017 at 8 p.m. in the Lang Performing Arts Center’s Pearson-Hall Theater (Main Stage), 500 College Ave, Swarthmore, Pennsylvania. All events are free and open to the public. No reservation is required.
Sydney Dance Company is a legendary force in Australian contemporary dance. Company performances have appeared on the great dance stages of the world, from the Sydney Opera House in Australia to the Joyce Theatre in New York, the Grand in Shanghai, and the Stanislavsky in Moscow. Its dancers have left audiences breathless, presented Australian art to the world, and brought the world to Australia. Actively creating and touring new work under the artistic directorship of Rafael Bonachela, the Company maintains an ensemble of 16 exceptional dancers.
Rafael Bonachela has been the artistic director for Sydney Dance Company since 2009. He has created several pieces for Sydney Dance and is the choreographer for Frame of Mind (2015), which won the 2015 Helpmann Awards for best choreography and dance work. His internationally recognized talent has seen him work not only with contemporary dancers at the highest level but also with artists from popular culture. As a choreographer, he has been commissioned to make works for Candoco, George Piper Dances, ITDANSA, Danza Contemporanea de Cuba, Transitions Dance Company, and Dance Works Rotterdam amongst others.
In addition to the Friday evening performance, on Thursday, Feb. 23, 2017, SydneyDance Company will offer a Q and A discussion with the company from noon—1 p.m. in the Boyer Dance Studio and a Master Class from 4:30-6 p.m. in the Troy Lab Studio both in the Lang Performing Arts Center. These are designed for interested intermediate and advanced dance students to learn choreography from the company’s repertory pieces.
Friday, Feb. 24, 2017 at 8 p.m
Swarthmore College, Lang Performing Arts Center’s Pearson-Hall Theater (Main Stage), 500 College Ave, Swarthmore, PA
FREE, no reservation required.
More information: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 610-328-8260
***Photo Credit: Pedro Greig
- Christina Castro-Tauser named executive director of International Ballet Exchange - July 7, 2020
- Koresh Continues Its Weekend Streaming Performance Series June 26-July 13 - June 23, 2020
- Fidget Participates in Inaugural Residency with Under Construction Arts - June 19, 2020
- BalletX Welcomes New Dance Fellow Shawn Cusseaux - June 17, 2020
- The Performance Garage Announces The 2020/21 DanceVisions’ Resident Artist, Joe González - June 15, 2020
- Roni Koresh short film series: HIDE YOUR FACE/UNMASK YOUR HEART, June 12-14 - June 12, 2020
- BalletX to Premiere Four Short Dance Films by Choreographers Hope Boykin, Rena Butler, Caili Quan, and Penny Saunders, June 14 - June 12, 2020
- Movers and Makers: Philadanco Turns 50, June 18 - June 10, 2020
- BalletX Spring and Summer Series 2020 Canceled - May 27, 2020
- Ballet, movement, imagination, and more with ZoomDance - May 18, 2020