Pasión y Arte is proud to present the first First Friday Juerga of 2017 on Friday, February 3rd from 7:30-10pm at the Overbrook Garage Studio at 6411 Overbrook Avenue in West Philadelphia. This event is free and open to the public and is BYOB.
What is a juerga? A juerga is a kind of flamenco jam session where there is no distinction between audience and performers and everyone takes part, supporting each other in collective playing, singing, and dancing. During particularly inspired moments, participants shout out “Olé!” encouraging each other with rhythmic handclapping called “palmas.” The atmosphere and camaraderie a juerga creates are much like that of a southern American gospel service and a “juerga flamenca” can easily attain the proportions of a religious ritual.
The unique component in Pasión y Arte’s First Friday Juerga is that the invitation to participate is open to all genres of music, singing, dance, and spoken word. The goal is to create new flamenco languages from different traditions. Special guest musicians and dancers – both professional flamencos, students, aficionados, artists from other Latino and non-Latino traditions – are invited to each juerga.
At the beginning of each First Friday Juerga, Pasión y Arte’s Artistic and Executive Director Elba Hevia y Vaca gives a short lecture on the history of flamenco, its components – cante (deep song), baile (dance), and toque (guitar) – and a mini-lesson so that the people present can become familiar with flamenco’s traditions.
Pasión y Arte staged its first juerga ten years ago in 2007. 100 people came in total – invited guests, Pasión y Arte Conservatory students, and people who simply wandered in off the street. Inspired by never-ending music and movement, the juerga went on for three hours. First Friday Juerga has continued on and off since then and currently takes places every other First Friday.
First Friday Juerga
Friday, February 3 from 7:30-10pm
Overbrook Garage Studio, 6411 Overbrook Avenue, Philadelphia 19151
More info at www.pasionyarteflamenco.org
- Works choreographed by Bryan Koulman, featuring dancers of the Pennsylvania Ballet, June 6-8 - May 8, 2019
- BalletX Presents Summer Series 2019 featuring The Little Prince by choreographer Annabelle Lopez Ochoa - May 7, 2019
- Philadelphia hip-hop legend Rennie Harris’ new work Funkedified, June 7-8 - May 7, 2019
- Almanac Dance Circus Theatre Brings Back Communitas: Five Years Later May 16-25 - May 7, 2019
- The Annenberg Center Presents Season-Closer, Parsons Dance, May 10-11 - May 6, 2019
- Tori Lawrence + Co. returns to Philadelphia with a preview of JUNKSPACE, May 12 - May 6, 2019
- The air is describing us, May 10-11 - April 30, 2019
- The Lady Hoofers’ Annual Spring Concert – On Tap, May 4th - April 20, 2019
- The 9th Philly Tango Fest to take place Memorial Day Weekend, May 24 – 27, 2019 - April 17, 2019
- Bryn Mawr College Dance Program Spring Concert, April 26-27 - April 16, 2019