Pasión y Arte is proud to present the first First Friday Juerga of 2017 on Friday, February 3rd from 7:30-10pm at the Overbrook Garage Studio at 6411 Overbrook Avenue in West Philadelphia. This event is free and open to the public and is BYOB.
What is a juerga? A juerga is a kind of flamenco jam session where there is no distinction between audience and performers and everyone takes part, supporting each other in collective playing, singing, and dancing. During particularly inspired moments, participants shout out “Olé!” encouraging each other with rhythmic handclapping called “palmas.” The atmosphere and camaraderie a juerga creates are much like that of a southern American gospel service and a “juerga flamenca” can easily attain the proportions of a religious ritual.
The unique component in Pasión y Arte’s First Friday Juerga is that the invitation to participate is open to all genres of music, singing, dance, and spoken word. The goal is to create new flamenco languages from different traditions. Special guest musicians and dancers – both professional flamencos, students, aficionados, artists from other Latino and non-Latino traditions – are invited to each juerga.
At the beginning of each First Friday Juerga, Pasión y Arte’s Artistic and Executive Director Elba Hevia y Vaca gives a short lecture on the history of flamenco, its components – cante (deep song), baile (dance), and toque (guitar) – and a mini-lesson so that the people present can become familiar with flamenco’s traditions.
Pasión y Arte staged its first juerga ten years ago in 2007. 100 people came in total – invited guests, Pasión y Arte Conservatory students, and people who simply wandered in off the street. Inspired by never-ending music and movement, the juerga went on for three hours. First Friday Juerga has continued on and off since then and currently takes places every other First Friday.
First Friday Juerga
Friday, February 3 from 7:30-10pm
Overbrook Garage Studio, 6411 Overbrook Avenue, Philadelphia 19151
More info at www.pasionyarteflamenco.org
- Elba Hevia y Vaca’s La Bolivianita to premiere at 2019 Fringe Festival, Sept 19-22 - August 13, 2019
- 2019 Women in Dance Leadership Conference , October 17-19 - August 12, 2019
- Power Play: Making process in performance, August 28 - August 11, 2019
- Inclined Dance Project presents T U R F, Sept 12-13 - August 9, 2019
- Philadelphia artist connects with Minneapolis live via dance and tech with SplitScreen, Sept 6-15 - August 8, 2019
- Nichole Canuso Dance Company presents Sneakers, September 6-10 - August 7, 2019
- Tangle Movement Arts present In Transit, Sept 4-7 - August 5, 2019
- REALMS: A Soul Opera at Philadelphia Museum of Art - July 22, 2019
- Yvonne Rainer’s Lives of Performers + Trio A with Introduction by Philadelphia Dance Projects’ Terry Fox - July 14, 2019
- Big Teeth Performance Collective’s Ordinary Creatures, July 19 - June 30, 2019