On March 17 & 18, Just Sole! Street Dance Theater Company will present “The Life Of A Just Sole” at the Suzanne Roberts Theatre (480 S. Broad Street) in Philadelphia. Celebrating their love for Hip Hop Dance, choreographer Kyle “JustSole” Clark, his wife and co-choreographer, Dinita aka “Princess Di”, and the Just Sole! Street Dance Theater Company, are taking audiences on a jubilant journey through the multi-layered, dynamic spectrum of interpretative street dance — house, locking, popping, and street social dances — signatures all synonymous with the canon of hip-hop culture.
“The Life Of A Just Sole” celebrates the personal, artistic and spiritual journey of Kyle ‘JustSole’ Clark. “It’s a physical autobiography that uses various hip-hop dance styles to tell the story of how I’ve developed as a human, a dancer and an artist”, he explains. Classically trained in ballet, modern and jazz at the University of the Arts, Kyle ‘JustSole’ Clark is a former principal member of Philadanco’s D/2 and the Eleone Dance Theater. He also was a principal dancer and rehearsal director of the world-renowned hip-hop dance theater company, Rennie Harris Puremovement. Performing since the age of nine, JustSole has literally danced his way around the world, hip-hopping across four continents.
This ground-breaking husband and wife dance duo, accompanied by their full Company,will also be joined onstage by an eclectic roster of world-class talent including House Dance pioneers of Dance Fusion: Tony McGregor and Sekou Heru; Rocking/Bboy innovator and Vice President of Rock Steady Crew: Tony Denaro (Bboy Ynot); Philly’s own Brian Newby (Bboy Hannibal) Artistic Leader of 360 Flava; and Boston’s global sensation Ivan Cofield (Heat Rock) of Del Fuego Crew; Locking Innovators and International Battle Stars: Alain Lauture (Hurrikane) and Omar Thomas (Firelock) of UnOrtholockX.
As a team, the Clarks have toured the world as principal dancers with Rennie Harris Puremovement; winning International House Dance Competitions throughout the United States and beyond; premiering original choreographed works for Alvin Ailey II; and, in 2014, debuting at Philadelphia’s New Freedom Theater their initial production of “The Life Of A Just Sole.”
Now, supported by The Pew Center for Arts & Heritage, the newly mounted 90-minute version of “The Life Of A Just Sole” has been expanded. It more deeply explores the development of the unique dance styles that dominated house parties and the club scene from the 1970s until today. The production blends street dance techniques with first-person narration by JustSole. The staged work explores the principles he’s learned from his own life experiences, including identity, family, self-expression, and the ability to use art as a guiding force in life. ‘Hip-hop dance culture is a ‘show and prove’ culture,” JustSole says. “For notoriety, you must show and prove your skills. When I compete in a battle, I do not compete against others. I compete with myself and the music. … The Life Of A Just Sole transcends the notion of ‘show and prove’ — instead, focusing on the overall principles that hip-hop culture was founded on: originality, creativity, and innovation.”
The Life Of A Just Sole
Just Sole! Street Dance Theater Company
Friday, March 17, 2017 at 7:00pm
Saturday, March, 18, 2017 at 2:00 & 7:00pm
Suzanne Roberts Theatre, 480 S. Broad Street, Philadelphia
Tickets: $15 online at http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/2842937
- Leah Stein Dance Company Spring 2019 Season of Studio Works - January 18, 2019
- SEX TAPE: new work by Gabrielle Revlock, Feb 16th - January 12, 2019
- Annenberg Center Live presents Martha Graham Dance Company in the EVE Project, Jan 25-26 - January 9, 2019
- BalletX Presents Spring Series 2019 with Premieres by Lil Buck and Nicolo Fonte and 2019 Choreographic Fellow Katarzyna Skarpetowska - January 8, 2019
- Former Philadanco Dancer, Dawn Marie Bazemore, named Performance Garage DanceVisions 2019 Resident Artist - January 8, 2019
- Bryn Mawr College Performing Arts Series presents Wintry Mix | Performance Festival, Jan 25-26 - December 19, 2018
- Polish Dance Artists Residency at Mascher Dance - November 29, 2018
- Annenberg Center Live Presents the Philadelphia Debut of Caleb Teicher & Company, Dec 14-15 - November 27, 2018
- Bryn Mawr College Performing Arts Series Presents Abby Z and the New Utility, Dec 7-8 - November 25, 2018
- Final Bow for Jessica Lang Dance at Annenberg Center Live, Nov 30-Dec 1 - November 19, 2018