On January 24 and 25, 2017, over 200 3rd and 4th grade students from three Philadelphia Schools will participate in the culminating dance performances of BalletX’s annual Dance eXchange program at the Prince Theater in Center City, Philadelphia. Students from Chester A. Arthur School and Bache-Martin School will perform on January 24, 6:30-7:30pm, and students from Albert M. Greenfield School will perform on January 25, 6:30-7:30pm. Dance eXchange performances are free and open to the public.
Dance eXchange, a program developed by BalletX, offers in-school dance classes to students of the School District of Philadelphia, based on the pedagogy of National Dance Institute and inspired by the artistry of BalletX. The program runs October 2016-January 2017.
NDI’s training provides dance educators with a unique skill set to teach students the fundamentals of dance and performance by integrating a curricular theme, and concluding each program with a final performance. Students also hone their critical and creative thinking skills as their dance techniques develop.
The curricular theme of 2016-17’s Dance eXchange program and final performance is Aviation, centered around BalletX’s Sunset, o639 Hours, a full-length ballet by choreographer Matthew Neenan and composer Rosie Langabeer that originally premiered on the company in 2014. BalletX remounted Sunset, o639 Hours for the company’s Fall Series 2016, Nov. 16-20 at The Wilma Theater. As part of the Dance eXchange curriculum, BalletX performed a free matinee performance of Sunset, o639 Hours for participating students at The Wilma Theater on Friday, Nov. 18.
Dance eXchange is generously funded by the William Penn Foundation, Leo Model Foundation, Philadelphia Cultural Fund, Stockton Rush Bartol Foundation, Zeldin Family Foundation, Loeb Performing Arts Fund, Dolfinger-McMahon Foundation, Berkowitz Family Foundation, and PECO, lead corporate sponsor.
The final performance is FREE but registration is requires. Please RSVP at: http://balletx.org/education/dance-exchange/
- Kun-Yang Lin/Dancers (KYL/D) Announces Four New Dance Artists for the 2019/2020 season - October 11, 2019
- SUPPER, People on the Move! performed by the Cardell Dance Theater comes to Drexel, Nov 8-10 - October 9, 2019
- Koresh 6th Annual Come Together Dance Festival, November 20-24 - October 9, 2019
- Taj Express: The Bollywood Musical Revue, Nov 14 - October 7, 2019
- SHARP Dance Company takes A Trip Back to the Original Woodstock with their home season revival of Aquarian Exposition, Nov 1-3 - October 7, 2019
- The Annenberg Center Presents Stars of American Ballet, Oct 18-19 - October 4, 2019
- Patawili creates a space for Filipino Philadelphians through dance, Oct 18 & 20 - October 4, 2019
- Get What You Need – a new city wide performance support platform for dance - October 3, 2019
- American Repertory Ballet names Ian Hussey as new Ballet Master - September 30, 2019
- Facing East presents its third year of collaboration with Riyaaz, Oct 11-12 - September 25, 2019