On January 24 and 25, 2017, over 200 3rd and 4th grade students from three Philadelphia Schools will participate in the culminating dance performances of BalletX’s annual Dance eXchange program at the Prince Theater in Center City, Philadelphia. Students from Chester A. Arthur School and Bache-Martin School will perform on January 24, 6:30-7:30pm, and students from Albert M. Greenfield School will perform on January 25, 6:30-7:30pm. Dance eXchange performances are free and open to the public.
Dance eXchange, a program developed by BalletX, offers in-school dance classes to students of the School District of Philadelphia, based on the pedagogy of National Dance Institute and inspired by the artistry of BalletX. The program runs October 2016-January 2017.
NDI’s training provides dance educators with a unique skill set to teach students the fundamentals of dance and performance by integrating a curricular theme, and concluding each program with a final performance. Students also hone their critical and creative thinking skills as their dance techniques develop.
The curricular theme of 2016-17’s Dance eXchange program and final performance is Aviation, centered around BalletX’s Sunset, o639 Hours, a full-length ballet by choreographer Matthew Neenan and composer Rosie Langabeer that originally premiered on the company in 2014. BalletX remounted Sunset, o639 Hours for the company’s Fall Series 2016, Nov. 16-20 at The Wilma Theater. As part of the Dance eXchange curriculum, BalletX performed a free matinee performance of Sunset, o639 Hours for participating students at The Wilma Theater on Friday, Nov. 18.
Dance eXchange is generously funded by the William Penn Foundation, Leo Model Foundation, Philadelphia Cultural Fund, Stockton Rush Bartol Foundation, Zeldin Family Foundation, Loeb Performing Arts Fund, Dolfinger-McMahon Foundation, Berkowitz Family Foundation, and PECO, lead corporate sponsor.
The final performance is FREE but registration is requires. Please RSVP at: http://balletx.org/education/dance-exchange/
- jumatatu m. poe receives 2020 Creative Capital Award - February 18, 2020
- Roger Lee Dance Company’s Spring Concert Series – Music, March 27-28 - February 17, 2020
- Foreign Tongues by Liquid Loft, March 11-12 - February 12, 2020
- Ballet Folclórico Nacional de México de SILVIA LOZANO, March 12 - February 12, 2020
- 5th Annual Opine Dance Film Festival, March 20 & 21 - February 11, 2020
- Philadelphia Dance Projects’ DANCE UP CLOSE – Mazarick & Ramirez - January 28, 2020
- The Annenberg Center Presents the Philadelphia Debut of Ephrat Asherie, February 7-8 - January 22, 2020
- The Annenberg Center Presents Paul Taylor Dance Company, January 24-25 - January 17, 2020
- A multi-generational cast of women come together in HOMEbody, Feb 22 - January 10, 2020
- Cunningham opens in Philadelphia - January 9, 2020