Celebrate the holiday season with the entire family as The Rock School for Dance Education presents the enchanting, dynamic, and magical Nutcracker 1776. Uniquely blending Tchaikovsky’s score and the traditional Nutcracker story with Revolutionary-era Philadelphia aesthetics, Nutcracker 1776 takes audiences on a journey through battling mice, swirling snow and mountains of candies and features a cast of young international and local ballet prodigies portrayed as soldier mice, magical fairies, and founding fathers. Under the artistic direction of Bojan Spassoff and Stephanie Wolf Spassoff, this exciting 70-minute production is suitable for families and children of all ages.
Nutcracker 1776 will be performed at the Merriam Theater, in the heart of Philadelphia’s theater district, on Friday, December 16, 2016 at 7:00 PM and Saturday, December 17, 2016 at 1:00 PM and 4:00 PM. Ticket prices are $50, $40, and $30 [additional fees may apply] and are available at http://www.therockschool.org/nutcracker or call Ticket Philadelphia at 215-893-1999. Discounted tickets are available for groups of 10 or more.
With dedication to enriching the lives of young, aspiring dancers, The Rock School is one of the nation’s premier institutions for ballet and dance training, offering classes and activities from ages 6-months through pre-professional careers for over 50 years. Internationally recognized, The Rock School has been selected as “Outstanding School” for an unprecedented eleven consecutive years at Youth America Grand Prix, the largest ballet competition in the world, and has placed dancers in every major ballet company in the world, in film, and on Broadway.
- World champion German breakdance troupe Flying Steps presents Flying Bach, Oct 28 - September 19, 2018
- Philly Sirens Dance Company Hosts 5th Year Anniversary Dance Competition, October 13th - September 18, 2018
- Homeworld, a performance installation for babies and their caregivers, Oct 5-14 - September 17, 2018
- 2018 Reflection:Response Commission presents Awilda Sterling Duprey’s Lacks Criticality, Sept 21 & 22 - September 15, 2018
- Leah Stein Dance Company – Ground Works, Sept 13-16 - September 5, 2018
- Tabla, Taiko, and Contemporary Dance meet at Swarthmore College, Oct 5 - September 5, 2018
- 3AM Theatre’s The Graveyard Slot, Sept 13-16 - September 3, 2018
- BalletX dancer Daniel Mayo joins Metropolitan Ballet Company Boys’ Scholarship Program - August 28, 2018
- WeftWorks Examines How Technology and Consumer Culture Affect Identity, Relationships, and the Environment - August 28, 2018
- Dara Meredith tackles the issue of mental illness with Beneath the Surface, Sept 14 & 15 - August 26, 2018