Celebrate the holiday season with the entire family as The Rock School for Dance Education presents the enchanting, dynamic, and magical Nutcracker 1776. Uniquely blending Tchaikovsky’s score and the traditional Nutcracker story with Revolutionary-era Philadelphia aesthetics, Nutcracker 1776 takes audiences on a journey through battling mice, swirling snow and mountains of candies and features a cast of young international and local ballet prodigies portrayed as soldier mice, magical fairies, and founding fathers. Under the artistic direction of Bojan Spassoff and Stephanie Wolf Spassoff, this exciting 70-minute production is suitable for families and children of all ages.
Nutcracker 1776 will be performed at the Merriam Theater, in the heart of Philadelphia’s theater district, on Friday, December 16, 2016 at 7:00 PM and Saturday, December 17, 2016 at 1:00 PM and 4:00 PM. Ticket prices are $50, $40, and $30 [additional fees may apply] and are available at http://www.therockschool.org/nutcracker or call Ticket Philadelphia at 215-893-1999. Discounted tickets are available for groups of 10 or more.
With dedication to enriching the lives of young, aspiring dancers, The Rock School is one of the nation’s premier institutions for ballet and dance training, offering classes and activities from ages 6-months through pre-professional careers for over 50 years. Internationally recognized, The Rock School has been selected as “Outstanding School” for an unprecedented eleven consecutive years at Youth America Grand Prix, the largest ballet competition in the world, and has placed dancers in every major ballet company in the world, in film, and on Broadway.
- Nickerson-Rossi Dance presents Full Throttle, August 10 - June 11, 2018
- Three Aksha presents Sajeeva: A Unique and Innovative Bharatanatyam choreography, July 3 - June 11, 2018
- Group Motion Celebrates 50 Years in Philadelphia, June 30 - May 31, 2018
- Doggie Hamlet will herd audiences to the Belmont Plateau June 3 and 4 - May 30, 2018
- Bryan Koulman Spring Show, June 7-9 - May 24, 2018
- School of Pennsylvania Ballet Welcomes James K. Payne as New Director - May 23, 2018
- RealLivePeople Presents returns for 4th year with works by Ohio, Pennsylvania, and California-based dance artists, June 1-2 - May 22, 2018
- BalletX Summer Series 2018 Features Three World Premieres by Penny Saunders, Matthew Neenan, and Andrew McNicol, July 11-22 - May 22, 2018
- Ambiguous Dance Company explores individual rhythm and freedom of expression in My Organ My Seoul, June 3 - May 21, 2018
- Switzerland’s Asphalt Piloten brings hybrid performance art tour Tape Riot to Philadelphia, June 5-8 - May 21, 2018