Philadelphia’s favorite holiday tradition is back as Pennsylvania Ballet and Artistic Director Angel Corella present George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker®. Performances, supported by Bank of America Merrill Lynch run December 9 – 31 at The Academy of Music and are certain to delight the entire family.
Artistic Director Angel Corella is enthusiastic about the return of the timeless classic and is eager to showcase the talent of the Company. “Our dancers are so excited to once again bring George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker® to the beautiful Academy of Music,” says Corella. “To be part of the holidays in Philadelphia is magical, each year we look forward to bringing families together to enjoy the arts and make dreams come true.”
Immerse yourself in the beloved tale of The Nutcracker as Marie and her Prince share a magical gift that transports them to a suspenseful battle between soldiers and mice, a glistening forest full of snow, and into the Land of Sweets. Lavish sets and opulent costumes pair with the unforgettable Tchaikovsky score performed live by the Pennsylvania Ballet Orchestra and the celebrated Philadelphia Boys Choir. Dancers from The School of Pennsylvania Ballet will join Company members on stage as they bring to life this endearing story of a girl, a gift, and a wondrous dream.
Sensory Friendly Performance
Pennsylvania Ballet is proud to announce it will become the first resident company of The Kimmel Center to provide a specially adjusted sensory-friendly performance on the main stage of The Academy of Music. In partnership with Art Reach, Pennsylvania Ballet will offer a theater experience focused on providing a relaxed atmosphere that is welcoming and inclusive of children and families with a wide range of sensory, learning, and communication differences including autism spectrum. The program gives families space to move around, permission to speak during the performance, and areas to decompress with assistance from trained staff. Prior to the performance, families will be provided Program and Facility Guide Books which outline the story of The Nutcracker with visual images and the layout of the Academy.
“We want to make the dream of dance come true for everyone,” said Executive Director David Gray. “That means finding ways to provide accessibility to all in our community. We are happy to offer this sensory friendly performance so that more families can enjoy this beloved tradition.”
The sensory friendly performance will be held on December 22, 2016 at 11AM at The Academy of Music.
The performances at The Academy of Music run:
– Friday, December 9 at 7:00 PM
– Saturday, December 10 at 2:00 PM
– Saturday, December 10 at 5:00 PM
– Sunday, December 11 at 12:00 PM
– Sunday, December 11 at 5:00 PM
– Friday, December 16 at 11:00 AM
– Friday, December 16 at 7:00 PM
– Saturday, December 17 at 12:00 PM
– Saturday, December 17 at 5:00 PM
– Sunday, December 18 at 12:00 PM
– Sunday, December 18 at 5:00 PM
– Thursday, December 22 at 7:00 PM
– Friday, December 23 at 2:00 PM
– Friday, December 23 at 7:00 PM
– Saturday, December 24 at 12:00 PM
– Monday, December 26 at 12:00 PM
– Monday, December 26 at 5:00 PM
– Tuesday, December 27 at 2:00 PM
– Wednesday, December 28 at 12:00 PM
– Wednesday, December 28 at 5:00 PM
– Thursday, December 29 at 2:00 PM
– Friday, December 30 at 12:00 PM
– Friday, December 30 at 5:00 PM
– Saturday, December 31 at 12:00 PM
Tickets are available online at paballet.org or by phone at 215.893.1999, and in person at the Kimmel Center Box Office.
(Saturday, December 10, 2016, 12PM)
Children of all ages will enjoy this enchanted holiday party and luncheon in the Grand Ballroom at the Bellevue followed by a matinee performance of George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker®. Families can take part in holiday crafts, learn a dance from the ballet, meet the Mouse King and Sugarplum Fairy, and enjoy a magical feast. We are also excited to announce that we will be welcoming back Organ Grinder Joe Bush and his loveable monkey. Joe is one of only six genuine organ grinders in the country! Tickets from $150, for more information contact Barbara Vogdes at email@example.com.
Tea with the Sugarplum Fairy at the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
(Sunday, December 11 at 2:30 PM and Saturday, December 17 at 2:30 PM)
Join the star of Philadelphia’s most anticipated holiday tradition for a magical afternoon of tea and tutus at the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel. Enjoy a delectable buffet and photo opportunity with the Sugarplum Fairy and experience a captivating matinee performance of George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker® | Prices start at $90 and include your performance ticket and buffet. To order, contact Group Sales Manager Arajua Backman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Salvation Army Toy Drive
Pennsylvania Ballet is proud to partner with the Salvation Army for the Annual Toy Drive! At performances of George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker®, audience members are invited to bring a new unwrapped toy for a child in need. Once collected at the theater, these toys will be distributed to families across the region throughout the holiday season.
About Pennsylvania Ballet
Founded in 1963 by Balanchine protégée Barbara Weisberger, Pennsylvania Ballet is one of the nation’s leading ballet companies. Headquartered in Philadelphia, the Company’s annual local season features six programs of classic favorites and new works, including the Philadelphia holiday tradition, George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker®. For more information, visit paballet.org, call 215.551.7000 or connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube to go behind-the-scenes at any time.
- Philly Kerplop, a supercrew of all styles dancers and musicians, presents Blaow! Cosmos? - November 16, 2019
- Lightbox Film Center Celebrates Legacy of Ed Emshwiller in First-of-its-Kind Retrospective Exhibit - November 11, 2019
- Project Moshen Tackles Ovarian Cancer with Excerpts - October 29, 2019
- The Pew Center for Arts & Heritage Announces 2019 Grants for Philadelphia Artists, Organizations - October 21, 2019
- Kun-Yang Lin/Dancers (KYL/D) Announces Four New Dance Artists for the 2019/2020 season - October 11, 2019
- Koresh 6th Annual Come Together Dance Festival, November 20-24 - October 9, 2019
- Metropolitan Ballet Company presents Peter Pan, Nov 23-24 - October 7, 2019
- Perspectives A Presentation of New Work by Temple University Dance B.F.A. Seniors, Nov 22-23 - October 7, 2019
- The Lady Hoofers Tap Ensemble Establishes Residence On Broad Street With The Tapcracker, Dec 14-15 - October 6, 2019
- Taj Express: The Bollywood Musical Revue, Nov 14 - October 5, 2019