At college venues across the Lehigh Valley, the Choreographers on Campus initiative led by Lafayette has incubated artistic collaboration and creation among the most vital voices in contemporary dance. On Friday, November 18th at 8:00pm at the Williams Center for The Arts on the Lafayette College Campus, the works of three notable choreographers—including two from Philadelphia’s dance community—offer a glimpse of the next wave of breaking, ballet, and modern dance.
Featured is Nora Gibson’s 2^57,885,161 –1 is an abstract ballet for four dancers about the beauty and opacity of prime number theory. Décor and animation are created by Derek Smith, Associate Professor of Mathematics at Lafayette College, with original music by Michael Reiley McDermott composed for acoustic piano and electronics.
In Land Bridge by award-winning French-Canadian artist Helen Simoneau we see an investigation of how heritage, assimilation, and identity, and the willing erasure of the self, serve as a means of renewal. This is viewed abstractly through the lens of the endangered caribou of Simoneau’s homeland. Eight dancers will perform this excerpt, set against composer Nathalie Joachim’s electro-acoustic score.
With Point of Interest, 2016 Guggenheim Fellowship for Choreography, Raphael Xavier explores the sustainability and the aesthetics of a dance form typically associated with youth. Excerpts will highlight the work’s crackling bravado and high-octane physicality. Raphael Xavier was a member of the renowned hip-hop dance company Rennie Harris Puremovement and has been a Breaking practitioner since 1983.
Tickets for the showcase are $23 general public, $6 students, available through the Williams Center for the Arts ticket office, open 12:00 – 2:00 p.m. and 4:00 – 5:30 p.m. weekdays, and one hour prior to performance; by phone at 610-330-5009; and online at williamscenter.lafayette.edu
- Yvonne Rainer’s Lives of Performers + Trio A with Introduction by Philadelphia Dance Projects’ Terry Fox - July 14, 2019
- Big Teeth Performance Collective’s Ordinary Creatures, July 19 - June 30, 2019
- 2019 Fringe Festival Curated Programming for Dance - June 13, 2019
- Almanac Dance Circus Theatre presents The Return of xoxo moongirl June 14-23 - June 6, 2019
- BalletX’s First-Ever Block Party - May 28, 2019
- Philadanco’s 50 Year Legacy - May 28, 2019
- BalletX Announces 2019-20 Season – 8 World Premieres - May 23, 2019
- Works choreographed by Bryan Koulman, featuring dancers of the Pennsylvania Ballet, June 6-8 - May 8, 2019
- BalletX Presents Summer Series 2019 featuring The Little Prince by choreographer Annabelle Lopez Ochoa - May 7, 2019
- Philadelphia hip-hop legend Rennie Harris’ new work Funkedified, June 7-8 - May 7, 2019