At college venues across the Lehigh Valley, the Choreographers on Campus initiative led by Lafayette has incubated artistic collaboration and creation among the most vital voices in contemporary dance. On Friday, November 18th at 8:00pm at the Williams Center for The Arts on the Lafayette College Campus, the works of three notable choreographers—including two from Philadelphia’s dance community—offer a glimpse of the next wave of breaking, ballet, and modern dance.
Featured is Nora Gibson’s 2^57,885,161 –1 is an abstract ballet for four dancers about the beauty and opacity of prime number theory. Décor and animation are created by Derek Smith, Associate Professor of Mathematics at Lafayette College, with original music by Michael Reiley McDermott composed for acoustic piano and electronics.
In Land Bridge by award-winning French-Canadian artist Helen Simoneau we see an investigation of how heritage, assimilation, and identity, and the willing erasure of the self, serve as a means of renewal. This is viewed abstractly through the lens of the endangered caribou of Simoneau’s homeland. Eight dancers will perform this excerpt, set against composer Nathalie Joachim’s electro-acoustic score.
With Point of Interest, 2016 Guggenheim Fellowship for Choreography, Raphael Xavier explores the sustainability and the aesthetics of a dance form typically associated with youth. Excerpts will highlight the work’s crackling bravado and high-octane physicality. Raphael Xavier was a member of the renowned hip-hop dance company Rennie Harris Puremovement and has been a Breaking practitioner since 1983.
Tickets for the showcase are $23 general public, $6 students, available through the Williams Center for the Arts ticket office, open 12:00 – 2:00 p.m. and 4:00 – 5:30 p.m. weekdays, and one hour prior to performance; by phone at 610-330-5009; and online at williamscenter.lafayette.edu
- BalletX Spring and Summer Series 2020 Canceled - May 27, 2020
- Ballet, movement, imagination, and more with ZoomDance - May 18, 2020
- BalletX Says Farewell to Longtime Company Member Caili Quan – Welcomes Two New Dancers Savannah Green and Ashley Simpson - May 14, 2020
- Restorative Contact for Quarantine Buddies with Gabrielle Revlock - April 14, 2020
- The Lady Hoofers Tap Ensemble Spreads Joy Remotely During Pandemic - March 24, 2020
- ARTIST HOUSE / Asya Zlatina + Dancers present CARRY ON, Virtually April 2 at 12:30 pm - March 23, 2020
- Jeanine Durning Teaches two workshops in Philadelphia – POSTPONED - March 10, 2020
- Bill T. Jones, Deep Blue Sea is coming to the Mann, May 8-9 - March 2, 2020
- Philadelphia Dance Projects Presents A Provocative Evening of Screendance and Live Dance – POSTPONED - February 28, 2020
- Metropolitan Ballet’s 2020 Variations/Collaborations, POSTPONED - February 26, 2020