At college venues across the Lehigh Valley, the Choreographers on Campus initiative led by Lafayette has incubated artistic collaboration and creation among the most vital voices in contemporary dance. On Friday, November 18th at 8:00pm at the Williams Center for The Arts on the Lafayette College Campus, the works of three notable choreographers—including two from Philadelphia’s dance community—offer a glimpse of the next wave of breaking, ballet, and modern dance.
Featured is Nora Gibson’s 2^57,885,161 –1 is an abstract ballet for four dancers about the beauty and opacity of prime number theory. Décor and animation are created by Derek Smith, Associate Professor of Mathematics at Lafayette College, with original music by Michael Reiley McDermott composed for acoustic piano and electronics.
In Land Bridge by award-winning French-Canadian artist Helen Simoneau we see an investigation of how heritage, assimilation, and identity, and the willing erasure of the self, serve as a means of renewal. This is viewed abstractly through the lens of the endangered caribou of Simoneau’s homeland. Eight dancers will perform this excerpt, set against composer Nathalie Joachim’s electro-acoustic score.
With Point of Interest, 2016 Guggenheim Fellowship for Choreography, Raphael Xavier explores the sustainability and the aesthetics of a dance form typically associated with youth. Excerpts will highlight the work’s crackling bravado and high-octane physicality. Raphael Xavier was a member of the renowned hip-hop dance company Rennie Harris Puremovement and has been a Breaking practitioner since 1983.
Tickets for the showcase are $23 general public, $6 students, available through the Williams Center for the Arts ticket office, open 12:00 – 2:00 p.m. and 4:00 – 5:30 p.m. weekdays, and one hour prior to performance; by phone at 610-330-5009; and online at williamscenter.lafayette.edu
- Lightbox Film Center Celebrates Legacy of Ed Emshwiller in First-of-its-Kind Retrospective Exhibit - November 11, 2019
- Project Moshen Tackles Ovarian Cancer with Excerpts - October 29, 2019
- The Pew Center for Arts & Heritage Announces 2019 Grants for Philadelphia Artists, Organizations - October 21, 2019
- Kun-Yang Lin/Dancers (KYL/D) Announces Four New Dance Artists for the 2019/2020 season - October 11, 2019
- SUPPER, People on the Move! performed by the Cardell Dance Theater comes to Drexel, Nov 8-10 - October 9, 2019
- Koresh 6th Annual Come Together Dance Festival, November 20-24 - October 9, 2019
- Metropolitan Ballet Company presents Peter Pan, Nov 23-24 - October 7, 2019
- Taj Express: The Bollywood Musical Revue, Nov 14 - October 7, 2019
- SHARP Dance Company takes A Trip Back to the Original Woodstock with their home season revival of Aquarian Exposition, Nov 1-3 - October 7, 2019
- Perspectives A Presentation of New Work by Temple University Dance B.F.A. Seniors, Nov 22-23 - October 7, 2019