image courtesy of www.raphstravaganza.com
Leading hip-hop artist and 2013 Pew Fellow Raphael Xavier will bring together masterful street performers, extreme BMX riders, acrobatic contortionists, and live music for Raphstravaganza: The Kinetic Experience, a contemporary circus-style performance in City Hall’s courtyard. To be held on Saturday, September 10 from 12–7 p.m., the event is the first, all day, free and family-friendly event in the city’s 2016 Fringe Festival. RAPHSTRAVAGANZA has been supported by The Pew Center for Arts & Heritage.
Original compositions by saxophonist, composer, and 1996 Pew Fellow Bobby Zankel will act as musical narration for the urban styles that Xavier says “profoundly influenced my life during childhood and have shaped the artist I am today.” Performers include Bill Shannon, a choreographer, dancer, and Guggenheim Fellow known as Crutch Master who has choreographed for Cirque Du Soleil; Lamonte ‘Tales’ Goode a cypberyogi contortionist and hip hop acrobat pioneering new styles and BMX Flatland pioneer Pete Brandt who single handedly changed the technical style of riding; and additional performers from Philadelphia.
A set of four, 30-minute choreographed performances will be structured throughout the courtyard space and will pay tribute to the soul of the city, inviting discovery of urban street dance and movement.
**Please note he event is free to the public. However, reserved bleacher seating and VIP access can be purchased via Eventbrite.
- Kun-Yang Lin/Dancers (KYL/D) Announces Four New Dance Artists for the 2019/2020 season - October 11, 2019
- SUPPER, People on the Move! performed by the Cardell Dance Theater comes to Drexel, Nov 8-10 - October 9, 2019
- Koresh 6th Annual Come Together Dance Festival, November 20-24 - October 9, 2019
- Taj Express: The Bollywood Musical Revue, Nov 14 - October 7, 2019
- SHARP Dance Company takes A Trip Back to the Original Woodstock with their home season revival of Aquarian Exposition, Nov 1-3 - October 7, 2019
- The Annenberg Center Presents Stars of American Ballet, Oct 18-19 - October 4, 2019
- Patawili creates a space for Filipino Philadelphians through dance, Oct 18 & 20 - October 4, 2019
- Get What You Need – a new city wide performance support platform for dance - October 3, 2019
- American Repertory Ballet names Ian Hussey as new Ballet Master - September 30, 2019
- Facing East presents its third year of collaboration with Riyaaz, Oct 11-12 - September 25, 2019