On February 12th and 13th at 8 p.m., a brand new artists’ organization called “femme. collective” will present an evening of dance, poetry, visual art and refreshments entitled “cherchez la femme,” at the Performance Garage.
femme. collective is comprised of and ran by female – centric artists residing in and around Philadelphia. The organization aims to share and develop their artists’ work through networking, knowledge sharing, and performance opportunities. Inspired by Sleater Keaney and the Riot Grrrls movement of the Pacific Northwest, femme. collective enables artists to “sprinkle their lady power” and use their artistry to form new collaborations with their peers as well as allowing them to give back to their community.
With poetry read by Amy Saul-Zerby, who is managing editor of the spoken word-based publication Voicemail Poems, cherchez la femme gives their audience an eclectic showcase of female players. The dance artistry includes some dark theatre, a piece about love, a group work that is based on Paulo Coelho’s The Alchemist but set in a dance studio, and a production entitled “Unladylike” that explores a woman’s role in today’s society.
After the performance, audience members are invited to a reception where they can meet the artists and view an installation curated by Gillian Speers and Caitlin Peck featuring local Philadelphia artists who will be chosen through a submission process on femme. collective’s website.
Refreshments will be provided by Lauren Silva, and One Shot Coffee’s catering manager, Julia Hayward.
The featured choreographers of the evening include: Keila Cordova, Devon Lutz, Caroline O’Brien, Michelle MeGill, Candace Eaton, Krista Bacchieri, Julie Marinucci, Laura Baehr, Grace Gamble, and Loren McFalls.
Tickets are available for the performance at danceboxoffice.com ($20 General Admission/$15 Students and dance professionals)
cherchez la femme
Friday, February 12, 2016 at 8:00pm
Saturday, February 13, 2016 at 8:00pm
The Performance Garage, 1515 Brandywine St., Phila., PA 19130
Tickets: General Admission: $20, Students: $15 with ID, Seniors: $15 with ID, PhiladelphiaDANCE Card Members: $15
Purchase online at http://www.danceboxoffice.com/?page_id=556
- Artist Chats with Roni Koresh: Creativity in Times of COVID - October 19, 2020
- PDP’s online Informances continue with Dr. Lynn Matluck Brooks, Oct 28 - October 14, 2020
- The Annenberg Center Presents the Philadelphia Debut of Pam Tanowitz Dance, Livestreamed Thursday, October 15 - October 8, 2020
- KYL/D’s Inhale Performance Series Takes On A New Format, Oct 24 - October 1, 2020
- Founder of Community Bollywood Dance Project takes on a new role as Program Director of Dancing Classrooms Philly - September 24, 2020
- Philadelphia’s Rennie Harris Receives 2020 Doris Duke Artist Award - September 17, 2020
- Choreographer, Tommie-Waheed Evans to be featured in PDP’s Informance, Oct 14th - September 14, 2020
- The Way Out: pandemic-proof live Fringe show in a graveyard, Oct.1-3 - September 9, 2020
- Connecting the Distance takes you on a dance video interactive walking tour, Sept 10 – Oct 4 - September 4, 2020
- Britt Whitmoyer Fishel brings allowed|aloud to FringeArts, Oct 2-4 - September 1, 2020