Credit: undertow, photo by Duncan Wilder
Nora Gibson Contemporary Ballet presents Philadelphia’s newest international “danceforcamera” film festival, February 16 – 21, 2016, which celebrates the nexus between the cinematic and the choreographic! 27 “danceforcamera” short films from film/dancemakers from all over the globe, Philadelphia, Montreal, Santa Barbara, Greece, Iran, San Francisco, NYC, London, and more will be represented in three separate programs in this exciting, 6 day event. Screenings will occur at Christ Church Neighborhood House Theater 20 N. American Street, 4th Floor in Philadelphia.
All three programs provide a variety of films, featuring award winning film makers, seasoned choreographers, and emerging artists. Philadelphia artists’ work can be seen in all three of the programs: Jillian Harris, Joseph Carlin, Zornitsa Stoyanova, Niki Cousineau, and Jorge Cousineau. There is a stunning array of choreography to be enjoyed, including work from Amy Seiwert, Crystal Pite, Jody Oberfelder, and many more. The Philadelphia Screendace Festival is a world class event that Philadelphia can be proud to call its own.
NGCB created this festival with a desire to take Gibson’s passion for dynamic collaboration to a new level. The “danceforcamera” genre is the epitome of crossdisciplinary creation: choreography, cinematography, music, dance, editing . . . . It was a logical step in the company’s programming to host an event that celebrates this fusion of artistry. It also created a presence for Philadelphia in this genre, as the city has lacked an international “danceforcamera” festival until now!
There are three separate programs, all of short films of varied types: narrative, abstract, poetic, horrific, fun, sumptuous, heartwarming, strange, and beautiful. The tickets have been priced moderately to encourage attendance of all three programs.
This film festival is running concurrently at the same venue with NGCB’s eveninglength ballet Ephemeral, a work about Time for dance, light, and environmental sound score.
Credit: 219 Gates, Photo by Joel Marsh Garland
SCREENING DATES: Febuary 16 – 21
PROGRAM A: Tuesday & Friday (8:309:30pm)
PROGRAM B: Wednesday & Saturday (8:309:30pm)
PROGRAM C: Thursday & Sunday (Thurs 8:309:30/ Sun 4:305:30)
VENUE: Christ Church Neighborhood House Theater 20 N. American Street, 4th Floor Philadelphia, PA 19102
Ticket prices: $12$15; $25 for combo ticket to include NGCB’s Ephemeral directly preceding
PURCHASE TICKETS: online at http://www.eventbrite.com/e/the2016philadelphiascreendancefestivaltickets18845289769
- Philadelphia’s Rennie Harris Receives 2020 Doris Duke Artist Award - September 17, 2020
- Choreographer, Tommie-Waheed Evans to be featured in PDP’s Informance, Oct 14th - September 14, 2020
- The Way Out: pandemic-proof live Fringe show in a graveyard, Oct.1-3 - September 9, 2020
- Connecting the Distance takes you on a dance video interactive walking tour, Sept 10 – Oct 4 - September 4, 2020
- Britt Whitmoyer Fishel brings allowed|aloud to FringeArts, Oct 2-4 - September 1, 2020
- Evalina “Wally” Carbonell and Weiwei Ma present BLOOD, Sept 24-27 - August 30, 2020
- Take It Away Dance returns to the Philly Fringe with a full month of tap dance and jazz music concerts live-streamed on Sunday afternoons - August 11, 2020
- Coming to FringeArts – Pasion y Arte’s Sevillana Get Togethers 2020, Sept 17 – Oct 4 - August 11, 2020
- Choreographer Megan Mazarick launches PDP’S online Informance series, Sept 9th - August 10, 2020
- BalletX Goes Virtual with BalletX Beyond for Its 15th Anniversary Season - July 28, 2020