This season, Gibson has created a full evening work that invites ballet to be the voice for big and intellectually bold ideas, taking the audience into new territory through a collaboration with progressive and experimental artists from other disciplines. Featuring seven outstanding classical dancers, Ephemeral is about the beauty and poignancy of finiteness, and our perception of Time; how we are both in its fabric and observers of it. Ephemeral is an immersive experience that allows reflection of time, of self, and the deepest appreciation of what is beautiful and ephemeral.
As Philadelphia’s newest and most experimental ballet company, NGCB showcases talented, eclectic dancers, and fosters exciting collaborations. This eveninglength ballet features a cast of seven outstanding dancers (Jessica WarchalKing, Melissa McCarten, Adrianna de Svastich, Amy Novinski, Ginamarie BattistaShifferly, Martin SkocelasHunter, Sean Thomas Boyt). Choreography by Nora Gibson, and original music score by noted ambient electronic composer Michael McDermott. Lighting design by guest lighting artist, Katinka Marac, known for her installations and creation of powerful environments through light and color.
Ephemeral is the live concert that runs concurrently at the same venue with NGCB’s newest niche film festival: the 2016 Philadelphia Screendance Festival. For specific dates, times and ticketing information for the film festival, click here
Patrons can purchase a combined ticket to both events, to experience both live dance and the visually imaginative nexus of dance and film making. This double feature allows the audience to experience the breadth of artistry that NGCB has to offer.
Nora Gibson Contemporary Ballet
Nora Gibson Contemporary Ballet is committed to presenting ballet that is both beautiful and intellectually bold. Central to the company’s mission is the pursuit of this question: “What is ballet in the 21st Century?” As an American, female choreographer, Gibson is a voice of progress, and openness as to the scope of ballet. Gibson’s work is inspired by the beauty of the natural world, as evidenced in mathematics and science. NGCB provides a platform for interdisciplinary collaboration between dance, music, light installation, and academia.
Nora Gibson Contemporary Ballet
Friday, 2/19 @ 7pm
Saturday, 2/20 @ 7pm
Sunday, 2/21 @ 3pm
Christ Church Neighborhood House Theater, 20 N. American Street, 4th Floor, Philadelphia
Ticket prices: $15 18; $25 for combo ticket to include film festival screening directly following
Click Here to purchase online
- Philadelphia’s Rennie Harris Receives 2020 Doris Duke Artist Award - September 17, 2020
- Choreographer, Tommie-Waheed Evans to be featured in PDP’s Informance, Oct 14th - September 14, 2020
- The Way Out: pandemic-proof live Fringe show in a graveyard, Oct.1-3 - September 9, 2020
- Connecting the Distance takes you on a dance video interactive walking tour, Sept 10 – Oct 4 - September 4, 2020
- Britt Whitmoyer Fishel brings allowed|aloud to FringeArts, Oct 2-4 - September 1, 2020
- Evalina “Wally” Carbonell and Weiwei Ma present BLOOD, Sept 24-27 - August 30, 2020
- Take It Away Dance returns to the Philly Fringe with a full month of tap dance and jazz music concerts live-streamed on Sunday afternoons - August 11, 2020
- Coming to FringeArts – Pasion y Arte’s Sevillana Get Togethers 2020, Sept 17 – Oct 4 - August 11, 2020
- Choreographer Megan Mazarick launches PDP’S online Informance series, Sept 9th - August 10, 2020
- BalletX Goes Virtual with BalletX Beyond for Its 15th Anniversary Season - July 28, 2020