Treat yourself to Philadelphia’s favorite holiday tradition as Pennsylvania Ballet and Artistic Director Angel Corella present George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker™. Performances, supported by First Niagara, run December 11-31 at The Academy of Music and are certain to delight the entire family.
Angel Corella has breathed new life into Pennsylvania Ballet, and is excited to share Balanchine’s masterpiece that exudes the most beautiful and perfect choreography. “The great thing about George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker is that it transcends generations,” said Artistic Director Angel Corella. “There is nothing better than spending a winter day shopping with your family, having a nice hot chocolate, and then going to see our dancers perform this timeless classic with a renewed energy and excitement that’s building this Season. It’s a beautiful thing.”
The magical story of The Nutcracker follows Marie and her Prince as they share the tale of a magical gift, a suspenseful battle between soldiers and mice, and take us to the enchanted Land of Sweets. The classic and unforgettable Tchaikovsky score is performed live by Pennsylvania Ballet Orchestra and the celebrated Philadelphia Boys Choir. Dozens of students from The School of Pennsylvania Ballet will join Company members on-stage, dressed in intricately designed costumes and surrounded by larger than life sets, creating a magnificent sensory feast.
Join in the celebration of the beginning of the winter season by enjoying the performance of this enchanting tale at the Academy of Music.
The performances at The Academy of Music run:
- Friday, December 11 at 7:00pm
- Saturday, December 12 at 2:00pm and 7:00pm
- Sunday, December 13 at 12:00pm and 5:00pm
- Thursday, December 17 at 11:00am and 7:00pm
- Friday, December 18 at 11:00am and 7:00pm
- Saturday, December 19 at 2:00pm and 7:00pm
- Sunday, December 20 at 12:00pm and 5:00pm
- Tuesday, December 22 at 2:00pm and 7:00pm
- Wednesday, December 23 at 2:00pm and 7:00pm
- Thursday, December 24 at 12:00pm
- Saturday, December 26 at 2:00pm and 7:00pm
- Sunday, December 27 at 12:00pm and 5:00pm
- Tuesday, December 29 at 2:00pm and 7:00pm
- Wednesday, December 30 at 2:00pm and 7:00pm
- Thursday, December 31 at 12:00pm
Tickets are available online at paballet.org or by phone at 215.893.1999, and in person at the Kimmel Center Box Office.
Tea with the Sugarplum Fairy
(Sunday, December 13, 2:30pm and Saturday, December 19, 12pm)
Join the star of Philadelphia’s most anticipated holiday tradition for a magical afternoon of tea and tutus. Enjoy a delectable buffet and photo opportunity with the Sugarplum Fairy and experience a captivating matinee performance of George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker™! Prices start at $67 and include your performance ticket and buffet. To order, contact Group Sales Manager Arajua Backman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Pennsylvania Ballet
Founded in 1963 by Balanchine student and protégée Barbara Weisberger, Pennsylvania Ballet is one of the nation’s leading ballet companies. Headquartered in Philadelphia, the Company’s annual local season features six programs of classic favorites and new works, including the Philadelphia holiday tradition, George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker™. For more information, visit paballet.org
- Kun-Yang Lin/Dancers (KYL/D) Announces Four New Dance Artists for the 2019/2020 season - October 11, 2019
- SUPPER, People on the Move! performed by the Cardell Dance Theater comes to Drexel, Nov 8-10 - October 9, 2019
- Koresh 6th Annual Come Together Dance Festival, November 20-24 - October 9, 2019
- Taj Express: The Bollywood Musical Revue, Nov 14 - October 7, 2019
- SHARP Dance Company takes A Trip Back to the Original Woodstock with their home season revival of Aquarian Exposition, Nov 1-3 - October 7, 2019
- The Annenberg Center Presents Stars of American Ballet, Oct 18-19 - October 4, 2019
- Patawili creates a space for Filipino Philadelphians through dance, Oct 18 & 20 - October 4, 2019
- Get What You Need – a new city wide performance support platform for dance - October 3, 2019
- American Repertory Ballet names Ian Hussey as new Ballet Master - September 30, 2019
- Facing East presents its third year of collaboration with Riyaaz, Oct 11-12 - September 25, 2019