Roger Lee Dance Company will present its second annual Black History Celebration Concert Series in honor of Black History Month this coming February in Philadelphia, PA. The concert series features new works by artistic director and choreographer, Roger Lee as well as of six talented, guest choreographers. Each performance offers soulful dancing and music, a question and answer session with the artists, and an uplifting experience for individual and family audiences.
Roger Lee, a 26-year-old dance entrepreneur and educator, created this series as a means to fill the void of dance events, celebrating black history month in his hometown of Philadelphia. Last year’s inaugural concert series was a huge success and was even featured on 6 ABC Loves The Arts.
This year the program opens featuring the work of guest choreographers Kristen Wilson, Sonia James Pennington, Michael Nguyen, Kyle and Dinita Clark, and Natalia Baxter. Their pieces celebrate a variety of facets in black history, highlighting freedom, integration, the black church, and urban culture. The second half of the program will offer new work by artistic director and choreographer Roger Lee. His four part piece celebrates black history utilizing jazz, praise, hip-hop, and contemporary dance. Company dancer members included Natalia Baxter, Sekai Harris, Tiana Ligon, and Jackie McLay.
Since its 2012 premiere, Roger Lee Dance Company has been featured by 6 ABC, CNN, Comcast, CBS, KYW, WHYY, The Metro, The Huffington Post, and Philadelphia Inquirer, named a Top 4 Finalist in the KYW and CBS 2013 Small Business Challenge, and promoted at the inaugural Jay-Z Made In America Festival. The company has also been invited to perform at events presented by Project Moshen Dance Company, Alchemy Dance Company, Introspective Movement Project, and Koresh Dance Company.
2015 Roger Lee Dance Black History Celebration
Friday, February 6 and Saturday, February 7 at 8 pm
The Performance Garage, 1515 Brandywine Street, Philadelphia, PA 19130.
Tickets are $23 at the door and $20 online at http://danceboxoffice.com
- Dawn Marie Bazemore creates socio-political work of substance - April 22, 2019
- Sanders and Yannick Soar With Romeo & Juliet - April 7, 2019
- Les Ballets Jazz de Montréal’s Tribute to Leonard Cohen with Dance With Me - March 9, 2019
- (RE) Frame – MFA Thesis Performance by Blanca Huertas-Agnew - February 17, 2019
- Sammy Reyes’ Social Compass - January 29, 2019
- First Sunday at The Barnes with Rhonda Moore and Christina Castro-Tauser - November 7, 2018
- The Philly Sirens bring change to the East Coast Dance World - October 17, 2018
- Ruckus Dance ventures to Philadelphia - September 23, 2018
- Truly A Fringe Gem in Kind & Metal’s Indestructible Flowers - September 23, 2018
- Celebrating Fierce Women at The Barnes’ Artist Bash - September 22, 2018