Roger Lee Dance Company will present its second annual Black History Celebration Concert Series in honor of Black History Month this coming February in Philadelphia, PA. The concert series features new works by artistic director and choreographer, Roger Lee as well as of six talented, guest choreographers. Each performance offers soulful dancing and music, a question and answer session with the artists, and an uplifting experience for individual and family audiences.
Roger Lee, a 26-year-old dance entrepreneur and educator, created this series as a means to fill the void of dance events, celebrating black history month in his hometown of Philadelphia. Last year’s inaugural concert series was a huge success and was even featured on 6 ABC Loves The Arts.
This year the program opens featuring the work of guest choreographers Kristen Wilson, Sonia James Pennington, Michael Nguyen, Kyle and Dinita Clark, and Natalia Baxter. Their pieces celebrate a variety of facets in black history, highlighting freedom, integration, the black church, and urban culture. The second half of the program will offer new work by artistic director and choreographer Roger Lee. His four part piece celebrates black history utilizing jazz, praise, hip-hop, and contemporary dance. Company dancer members included Natalia Baxter, Sekai Harris, Tiana Ligon, and Jackie McLay.
Since its 2012 premiere, Roger Lee Dance Company has been featured by 6 ABC, CNN, Comcast, CBS, KYW, WHYY, The Metro, The Huffington Post, and Philadelphia Inquirer, named a Top 4 Finalist in the KYW and CBS 2013 Small Business Challenge, and promoted at the inaugural Jay-Z Made In America Festival. The company has also been invited to perform at events presented by Project Moshen Dance Company, Alchemy Dance Company, Introspective Movement Project, and Koresh Dance Company.
2015 Roger Lee Dance Black History Celebration
Friday, February 6 and Saturday, February 7 at 8 pm
The Performance Garage, 1515 Brandywine Street, Philadelphia, PA 19130.
Tickets are $23 at the door and $20 online at http://danceboxoffice.com
- Trump Bans All Public Dance Performances - September 7, 2020
- More Stories From the Dance Front Lines – Checking Back In - July 25, 2020
- Editorial: The Looming Arts Crisis - July 21, 2020
- Are Dance Studios Opening Safely? - July 6, 2020
- Meg Foley named finalist in The National Dance Project (NDP) Grant - June 18, 2020
- Philadelphia City Council approved a preliminary budget that restores some funding back to the Cultural Fund - June 18, 2020
- Presenting Dance As We Consider Reopening Post-Pandemic - May 20, 2020
- Stories From The Dance Front Lines - May 13, 2020
- Severe Budget Cuts To The Arts In Philadelphia Will Have A Much Wider Impact Than Just Our Economic Recovery - May 2, 2020
- WEEK 4 WINNER – SOLO BUT NOT ALONE, Online Dance Festival – Seaworthy - April 25, 2020