In September I produced my 5th showcase where I choose choreographers and presented them. This year to honor my dad who passed in May I did my showcase as a charity fundraiser where all proceeds donated to the American Cancer Society. Though attendance was poor I was able to raise over $1,000 but I wanted to do more, I wanted more people in the community to experience what I had presented.
My idea was to a 2nd chance viewing of the video of my showcase but I wanted it to be more, I decided to have at least one live performance in addition to the video, have the showing for FREE and if folks chose to make a donation give the money to Be The Match (BeTheMatch.org) which is a global leader in bone marrow transplantation. They conduct research to improve transplant outcomes provide support and resources for patients.
For the live performance I chose a young choreographer/dancer, gave her some seed money to help search out inspiration and create the piece. I also thought it would be great to give a glimpse inside the creation of the work so not only will you get to see the final work at the second chance showcase viewing but also see what led up to it through glimpses from rehearsal, shown below, and her thoughts through the process through a blog which I will add the link for to this column.
My style of photography is more than just freezing action it’s giving you the audience an intimate look inside the work and through this a glimpse inside the choreographic process while giving someone just starting out a chance to explore their voice.
Enjoy these pics from rehearsal
- The Dancing Monks of Assam - April 18, 2018
- In the studio with Darrell Grand Moultrie - February 4, 2018
- Bill Hebert’s Philly Holiday Sampler - December 17, 2017
- BalletX presents Nicolo Fonte’s Beautiful Decay - December 1, 2017
- Temple University Student Concert, Fall 2017 - November 12, 2017
- Temple University Alumni Concert - October 8, 2017
- DUENDE – Break My Echo at FringeArts 2017 - September 13, 2017
- A photo Review of BalletX Summer Series 2017 - July 14, 2017
- Behind The Lens with Pasión y Arte at The Barnes Foundation - June 7, 2017
- Sneak Peak at BalletX Spring Series 2017 - May 3, 2017