As this eight-member modern dance company celebrates its nine year anniversary, it seems only fitting for the SHARP home season performance to be a reunion of sorts. “The JOURNEY” combines work from the past 9 years, bringing back alumni dancers to join the company and dance their original roles. Returning alumni include: Steven Vaughn (Former Parsons Dance Company member), Meredith Magoon, Maureen Jewell, Jill Turnaski, Emily Padova-Farrell, and Patrick Korstange (Mid-Atlantic Ballet Artistic Director).
Current SHARP dancers in “The JOURNEY” include: Caroline Butcher, Joe Cicala, Linnea Calzada-Charma, Sandra Davis, Sophie Malin, Kate Rast, Emily Reynolds, and Miguel Quinones, with choreography by Diane Sharp-Nachsin. Vocalist Jenn Hallman rounds out the cast and original music is provided by Jason Andrew. SHARP will be bringing back some of their most requested pieces, including “I, Grieve,” “Roller Coaster Rules,” “Pieces of U,” and “Blind Faith 3.”
The company, which has always been an extended family for its dancers and Director, will be even more so this weekend as new SHARP family reunites with the old. The intention of The Journey is to connect with the audience in such a way that everyone feels like part of this family. The dancers bring this vision to life as they relive memories, infuse new ideas with old, and celebrate the past and look towards the future. Personal touches and history have been integrated in to the performance with video interviews of current company members answering questions ranging from “Who is the funniest dancer?” to “What is your best (and worst) tour moment?” to “What three words describe SHARP to you?”
SHARP Dance Company now performs both nationally and internationally, and has been seen in such festivals as the Bedfringe (UK), Chicago Fringe, Phoenix Fringe, Seacoast Fringe, Cool NY, STEPS Performance Lab (NY), Fringe Wilmington, and the Philadelphia International Festival of the Arts (PIFA). Sharp-Nachsin was also named a BAU Fellow in Italy, in June of 2013 and awarded an artist residency in Paros, Greece in 2014.
“The JOURNEY” will be performed throughout the weekend of October 10-12 at the Christ Church Neighborhood House Theatre (located at 20 N American St., Philadelphia, PA, 19106). There are four chances to see the show – Friday 10/10 @ 8 pm, Saturday 10/11 @ 3 pm and 8 pm, and Sunday 10/12 @ 3 pm. For more information and tickets visit sharpdance.org.
- Artist Coalition For a Just Philadelphia responds to the proposed 2021 Philadelphia budget - June 19, 2020
- Philadelphia’s Tango Festival Goes On Virtually, May 22-25 - May 8, 2020
- President Trump Proposes to Eliminate the NEA Again. Take Action Today! - February 12, 2018
- 12 Days of Christmas – Win A FREE Membership to PhiladelphiaDANCE.org - December 12, 2017
- Contact Your State Senator in Support for Funding for the Arts - May 25, 2017
- Congress Finalizes Current Budget with Arts Increases - May 1, 2017
- Trump Administration Proposes Cutting NEA $15 Million This Year - March 28, 2017
- Breaking News – Trump Budget to Eliminate Arts Endowment - March 16, 2017
- Make your voice heard at the National Arts Action Summit – March 20-21, 2017 - March 3, 2017
- Arts Grants Hidden in PA State Budget Proposal - February 8, 2017