Plus a Free Performance for the City of Philadelphia & a Glittering Gala
Pennsylvania Ballet opens its 50th Anniversary Season with George Balanchine’s dazzling full-length masterpiece, Jewels, October 17-27, 2013 at the Academy of Music.
“I’ve wanted to do Jewels for 18 years! So our 50th Anniversary is the perfect opportunity to present this Company premiere,” Artistic Director Roy Kaiser says. “It’s an enormous undertaking and a fantastic tribute to Mr. Balanchine, who had an incredible impact on the founding of this Company and maintains an indelible legacy in its repertoire.”
Inspired by the artistry of jewelry designer Claude Arpels, Jewels unfolds in three distinct sections – Emeralds, Rubies, and Diamonds – each with its own music and mood. Emeralds evokes the elegance of France, to the music of Gabriel Fauré. Rubies is influenced by Balanchine’s experiences in America. The jazz-inflected Stravinsky score sends dancers zipping through the stage in Balanchine’s definitively neoclassical style. The grandeur and regality of Imperial Russia are the inspiration for Diamonds, a nod to Balanchine’s own heritage, as is the sumptuous Tschaikovsky score.
Tickets to Jewels are on sale now, starting at $30. Tickets are available online at paballet.org, by phone at 215.893.1999, and in person at the Kimmel Center Box Office.
Jewels performances at the Academy of Music:
Thursday, October 17 at 7:30 p.m.
Friday, October 18 at 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, October 26 at 2 p.m. and 8 p.m.
Sunday, October 27 at 2 p.m.
SPECIAL FREE PERFORMANCE
Pennsylvania Ballet thanks the city of Philadelphia for 50 years of support with A Gift to the City with a FREE performance on Sunday, October 20 at 3 p.m. at the Academy of Music. WHYY will record the performance for national broadcast on PBS. This one-time-only matinee will feature marquee selections from the Company’s past and present. All guests must register for a free ticket at paballet.org/free-performance. Tickets are first come, first serve.
50th ANNIVERSARY GALA
Pennsylvania Ballet kicks off this festive season with a glittering 50th Anniversary Gala on Saturday, October 19, presented by CIGNA. Cocktails start at 6:30 p.m. followed by dinner and dancing with the dancers, all at The Crystal Ballroom in the Wanamaker Building. This year’s event honors Pennsylvania Ballet founder Barbara Weisberger. Tickets for this black tie fundraiser are on sale now starting at $550 per person and $5,050 per table. Young Friends tickets are available for $200 for guests ages 21-39. For more information and tickets, please contact Special Events Manager Barbara Vogdes at 215.587.6916 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Dawn Marie Bazemore creates socio-political work of substance - April 22, 2019
- Sanders and Yannick Soar With Romeo & Juliet - April 7, 2019
- Les Ballets Jazz de Montréal’s Tribute to Leonard Cohen with Dance With Me - March 9, 2019
- (RE) Frame – MFA Thesis Performance by Blanca Huertas-Agnew - February 17, 2019
- Sammy Reyes’ Social Compass - January 29, 2019
- First Sunday at The Barnes with Rhonda Moore and Christina Castro-Tauser - November 7, 2018
- The Philly Sirens bring change to the East Coast Dance World - October 17, 2018
- Ruckus Dance ventures to Philadelphia - September 23, 2018
- Truly A Fringe Gem in Kind & Metal’s Indestructible Flowers - September 23, 2018
- Celebrating Fierce Women at The Barnes’ Artist Bash - September 22, 2018