Tangle Movement Arts presents Break/Drift/Resist, a dynamic circus-theater show from Philadelphia’s innovative aerial artists. Seven women climb ropes, spark chain reactions, catch each other, swing, slide, and crash. Tangle’s aerial acrobats ricochet from floor to ceiling in this performance inspired by the friction and warmth of a close-knit community.
Tangle’s seven-women cast navigates a forest of aerial equipment, chase each other across the stage, and explore how groups adapt, transform, and absorb shock. “Break/Drift/Resist asks the question, what does it mean to be part of a group?” says Tangle founder Lauren Rile Smith. “We wanted to use aerial dance and acrobatic partnering to diagram, in movement, the way one person’s action can ripple through a community. Sometimes your life is transformed by a person you barely know—and sometimes, opening a window for yourself slams a door on someone else.”
Taking inspiration from urban landscapes, social networks, traffic systems, and lightning-bolt moments of change, Tangle brings its inventive aerial dance theater to the 2013 Philly FringeArts festival. Tangle’s aerial acrobats climb and pull each other, build complex structures, collide, and converge. Break/Drift/Resist premieres at Philadelphia Soundstages (1600 N. 5th Street) on September 5th, 6th, and 7th. Tickets ($15-20) are available via FringeArts (215-413-1318) (fringearts.ticketleap.com).
Tangle Movement Arts is a circus arts company with an interdisciplinary focus, whose work integrates traditional circus like trapeze and acrobatics with dance, theater, and live music to tell a multi-dimensional story. Tangle’s work reflects individuals of diverse identities, with an emphasis on queer and female experience, and is devised collaboratively by its all-female ensemble. Flying Kite Media says, “This company tells a story in silks and syllables, giving new meaning to rising action.” Tangle is based in Philadelphia and has been a Philly FringeArts Festival favorite since its inception in 2010.
Tangle presents Break/Drift/Resist
innovative aerial dance theater
Thursday, Sept. 5 at 8pm, Friday, Sept. 6 at 8pm, Saturday, Sept. 7 at 3pm and 8pm.
Philadelphia Soundstages, 1600 N. 5th Street, Philadelphia PA 19122.
Tickets: $15-20 (discounts for artists, students, seniors, and groups). Purchase at the door or online at tangle-arts.com.
Contact email@example.com for discount information.
For tinycircus, a free trapeze and acrobatics performance series in public locations: contact Lauren Rile Smith (firstname.lastname@example.org, 215-266-6215) for upcoming dates. Next tinycircus is Saturday, October 7 at the Fishtown River City Festival at Penn Treaty Park.
- Philadelphia’s Own Trinity Dance Family goes to Arizona to compete in Hip Hop International - July 19, 2019
- Dawn Marie Bazemore creates socio-political work of substance - April 22, 2019
- Sanders and Yannick Soar With Romeo & Juliet - April 7, 2019
- Les Ballets Jazz de Montréal’s Tribute to Leonard Cohen with Dance With Me - March 9, 2019
- (RE) Frame – MFA Thesis Performance by Blanca Huertas-Agnew - February 17, 2019
- Sammy Reyes’ Social Compass - January 29, 2019
- First Sunday at The Barnes with Rhonda Moore and Christina Castro-Tauser - November 7, 2018
- The Philly Sirens bring change to the East Coast Dance World - October 17, 2018
- Ruckus Dance ventures to Philadelphia - September 23, 2018
- Truly A Fringe Gem in Kind & Metal’s Indestructible Flowers - September 23, 2018