Three Aksha is remounting their work Pushkara along side with two new works Saha and Aarambha in a unique presentation of Indian classical dance and music at the Painted Bride on June 28th & 29th at 7:00pm.
Three Aksha was founded in Philadelphia in 2003 by Artistic Director Viji Rao, and is based at Girard College, where she has been an artist in residence since 2008. The company seeks to preserve and promote Indian culture and heritage through classical Indian Bharatanatyam dance choreography in the Philadelphia area and in other ethnically diverse regions of the world. The group has performed in major cities across the US, the UK, Europe and India.
Three Aksha has been recognized for its development of new choreography within the realm of classical Indian tradition, and for its work in the Kalakshetra style of Bharatanatyam, which is renowned for its focus on the body. The company’s dancers have trained in Kalakshetra Bharatanatyam under Viji for a minimum of six years, and have also studied under teachers in India.
The upcoming program at The Bride is being offered in three parts. The program opens with Pushkara, which had premiered in 2012 at the Painted Bride and has since been toured locally and internationally. In Pushkara by Three Aksha Dance Ensemble, choreographed by Artistic Director Viji Rao, this journey through a life is revealed through the marriage of the rhythms of the tabla, a traditional Indian percussion instrument, and the extraordinary beauty of Bharatanatyam, a South Indian classical dance form. Music composition is by Ajay Warrior.
With Saha, the audience is offered classical Indian music by a world renowned musicians. The fare also blends a bit of contemporary, vintage and classical styles for a unique sound and experience. The final offering, Aarambha, is presented by Three Aksha Ensemble and their Youth Company. This work highlights the inner mechanism of Indian visual culture through linkages between the visual and performing arts, and sacred practices and lyrical expressions. Music composition for Aarambha is by Praveen D Rao.
The Ashka Dance Company
June 28th & 29th at 7:00pm
The Painted Bride Arts Center, 230 Vine St Philadelphia, PA 19106
More information & Tickets: http://threeaksha.org/events/
- Philadelphia’s Own Trinity Dance Family goes to Arizona to compete in Hip Hop International - July 19, 2019
- Dawn Marie Bazemore creates socio-political work of substance - April 22, 2019
- Sanders and Yannick Soar With Romeo & Juliet - April 7, 2019
- Les Ballets Jazz de Montréal’s Tribute to Leonard Cohen with Dance With Me - March 9, 2019
- (RE) Frame – MFA Thesis Performance by Blanca Huertas-Agnew - February 17, 2019
- Sammy Reyes’ Social Compass - January 29, 2019
- First Sunday at The Barnes with Rhonda Moore and Christina Castro-Tauser - November 7, 2018
- The Philly Sirens bring change to the East Coast Dance World - October 17, 2018
- Ruckus Dance ventures to Philadelphia - September 23, 2018
- Truly A Fringe Gem in Kind & Metal’s Indestructible Flowers - September 23, 2018