The ninth installment of Tap Teaser, an evening of tap dance and jazz music, will be presented on June 8, 2013, 8:00 pm, at LaRose Jazz Club, 5531 Germantown Avenue, Philadelphia, PA. Produced by tap dancer and choreographer Pamela Hetherington, the concert will feature a dynamic line-up of Philadelphia tap dancers, along with live musical accompaniment by drummer, Robert H. Henderson, pianist, Paul Pelusi and bassist, Nimrod Speaks. Tickets are $15. There is a cash bar on location.
“I founded the Tap Teaser series in 2008 for three main reasons: to give tap dancers a consistent performance opportunity, to offer a community forum for idea exchange, and provide a platform from which to rebuild an audience,” says Hetherington. A dynamic mix of professional tap dancers will join the bill for the evening, including Corinne Karon, Rochelle Haynes, Allison Stadd, JoAnna Turner and Audrey Bookspan, Khalil Munir, Micah Geyer, Theresa DiSipio, Katie Delhagen, Jaye Allison, Michele Dunleavy, the Libby Spencer Dancers, and the “Take it Away” Quartet, a group of 4 advanced dancers who will perform choreography by Pamela Hetherington.
Over the course of five years and eight packed productions at the Community Education Center, Painted Bride, and Performance Garage, Tap Teaser has hosted over eighty tap artists and fifteen jazz musicians. Hetherington describes Tap Teaser as a “series which fosters and supports the necessary collaboration and vital synergy between tap dance and jazz music. Tap dance is an improvisational art form rooted in the rhythms and grooves of jazz, and the series will continue successfully, as long as it maintains its connection to jazz music and the jazz community.” In keeping with that mission, the ninth installment of this show will be held at Germantown’s LaRose Jazz Club, a 125-seat venue, which is easily accessible by public transportation and offers ample free parking. Appealing to jazz music lovers across the Delaware Valley, the rhythm section of Henderson, Pelusi and Speaks will also perform beloved jazz standards throughout the evening.
Hetherington, a Philadelphia native, performed with Philadelphia company Tap Team 2 from 1996-2011 and founded Tap Teaser in 2008. She is a teaching artist at schools all over the Delaware Valley and is a freelance solo performer and choreographer. Her full biography may be found on her web site at www.pamelahetherington.com.
Tap Teaser 9: An Evening of Tap Dance and Jazz Music
June 8, 2013 at 8:00 pm
LaRose Jazz Club, 5531 Germantown Avenue, Philadelphia, PA
$15; $12 Dance Professioanls, students, seniors, and children under 10
- An Afternoon’s Escape From Covid-19 With Nicole Burgio - October 19, 2020
- Does The Dance World’s Pivot To Virtual Need A Better Business Model? - October 15, 2020
- Trump Bans All Public Dance Performances - September 7, 2020
- More Stories From the Dance Front Lines – Checking Back In - July 25, 2020
- Editorial: The Looming Arts Crisis - July 21, 2020
- Are Dance Studios Opening Safely? - July 6, 2020
- Meg Foley named finalist in The National Dance Project (NDP) Grant - June 18, 2020
- Philadelphia City Council approved a preliminary budget that restores some funding back to the Cultural Fund - June 18, 2020
- Presenting Dance As We Consider Reopening Post-Pandemic - May 20, 2020
- Stories From The Dance Front Lines - May 13, 2020