Alie & the Brigade (formerly known as Movement Brigade) present INVISIBLE RIVER, a dance and music performance celebrating the Schuylkill River, the ephemeral nature of summer, and the possibility that live performance can bring a city together in a way that no other event can.
An ensemble of 10 dancing singers perform the haunting choral compositions of Elliott Harvey of a stick and a stone ,while leading audience members through interactive choreography on the Schuylkill River Trail, choreographed by Alie Vidich.
From the trail, the audience enters a parking lot near the Strawberry Mansion Bridge, transformed into a carnival of color and sculpture by artists from SpArc Philadelphia. In the distance, two aerial dancers swing beneath the Strawberry Mansion Bridge and glide past each other in moments of adventure and play. The aerial dancers descend into the river and swim to the nearby audience for the finale.
After the performance, Vidich will speak to the audience about her vision to create an annual Schuylkill River performing arts festival that advocates for public swimming access in the river. A DJ dance party will follow inviting audience members to stay in the park, dance and celebrate the summer!
INVISIBLE RIVER will take place on Sundays, June 16th & 23rd starting at 8pm each night. Audience members will meet at the parking lot next to the St. Joseph’s University Boathouse at 2200 Kelly Drive in Philadelphia’s Fairmount Park (MAP IT). This is a FREE event for ALL AGES.
Alie & the Brigade is a dance theater company based in Philadelphia that creates site-specific performances on the Schuylkill River and proscenium stages. They attract new audiences to the world of dance theater by presenting these works in unconventional and inspiring ways, using a variety of mediums — aerial dance, kinetic sculpture, modern dance, physical theater, song and poetry. The company is directed by Alie Vidich, a Philadelphia based choreographer, director, and performer known for her adventurous spirit and creative ingenuity.
More information visit their web site at www.AlieandtheBrigade.org
Concept & Direction: Alie Vidich
Aerial Dance Choreography & Performance: Evan Hoffman & Alie Vidich
Music: Elliott Harvey of a stick and a stone
Choral Direction: Jeff Russo of a stick and stone
Aerial Rigging: Daniel Porter
Co-produced by the Philadelphia School of Circus Arts
- Philadelphia’s Own Trinity Dance Family goes to Arizona to compete in Hip Hop International - July 19, 2019
- Dawn Marie Bazemore creates socio-political work of substance - April 22, 2019
- Sanders and Yannick Soar With Romeo & Juliet - April 7, 2019
- Les Ballets Jazz de Montréal’s Tribute to Leonard Cohen with Dance With Me - March 9, 2019
- (RE) Frame – MFA Thesis Performance by Blanca Huertas-Agnew - February 17, 2019
- Sammy Reyes’ Social Compass - January 29, 2019
- First Sunday at The Barnes with Rhonda Moore and Christina Castro-Tauser - November 7, 2018
- The Philly Sirens bring change to the East Coast Dance World - October 17, 2018
- Ruckus Dance ventures to Philadelphia - September 23, 2018
- Truly A Fringe Gem in Kind & Metal’s Indestructible Flowers - September 23, 2018