Tangle Movement Arts presents Invert!, an evening of all-new aerial dance theater from Philadelphia’s interdisciplinary circus artists. Combining vertical flirtation, glittery sequins, feminist history, and a cordless power drill, Invert! premieres at the majestic Sanctuary at the Rotunda on May 16-18, 2013.
Tangle’s seven-woman cast travels through simmering duets, a torch-song trapeze solo, a celebration of campy drag traditions, and a tribute to Rosie the Riveter complete with on-stage power tools. Invert! connects the basic icon of circus arts—a body upside-down—with the spectrum of gender and sexuality, unanticipated connections, and upended expectations. Tangle’s kaleidoscope of bodies merge, fall apart, and climb to the Rotunda’s 40-foot ceilings, interspersed with tango solos by Julliard violinist Caeli Smith.
“Our goal is to highlight diverse examples of female strength, and connections between women—whether they’re relationships of sex, friendship, support, or antagonism,” says Tangle founder Lauren Rile Smith. “We want to push the boundaries of what you expect to see in a circus show, and we’re thrilled to be working in the grand, unique space of the Rotunda.”
Tangle is a circus arts company with an interdisciplinary focus, whose work integrates traditional circus like aerial acrobatics with dance, theater, and live music. Tangle’s work reflects individuals of diverse identities, with an emphasis on queer and female experience, and is devised collaboratively by its all-female ensemble. Flying Kite Media says, “This company tells a story in silks and syllables, giving new meaning to rising action.” Tangle’s unique performance style captivates audiences and tells a many-dimensional story. Founded in Philadelphia in 2011, Tangle members have studied performance and trained circus arts at schools from around the world to the Philadelphia School of Circus Arts.
Tangle presents Invert!—a spectacle of aerial dance and circus-theater.
May 16-18, 2013 at 8:30pm
The Sanctuary at The Rotunda, 4014 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104.
Tickets: $10-15 (discounts for artists, students, seniors, and groups).
Purchase at the door or online at tangle-arts.com.
- Meg Foley named finalist in The National Dance Project (NDP) Grant - June 18, 2020
- Philadelphia City Council approved a preliminary budget that restores some funding back to the Cultural Fund - June 18, 2020
- Presenting Dance As We Consider Reopening Post-Pandemic - May 20, 2020
- Stories From The Dance Front Lines - May 13, 2020
- Severe Budget Cuts To The Arts In Philadelphia Will Have A Much Wider Impact Than Just Our Economic Recovery - May 2, 2020
- WEEK 4 WINNER – SOLO BUT NOT ALONE, Online Dance Festival – Seaworthy - April 25, 2020
- Going Forward, An Opportunity To Re-Frame Post-Pandemic - April 21, 2020
- WEEK 3 WINNER – SOLO BUT NOT ALONE, Online Dance Festival – birdskin - April 18, 2020
- Editorial: I am not a pessimist nor optimist but a realist – getting our community started once again - April 15, 2020
- WEEK 2 WINNER – SOLO BUT NOT ALONE, Online Dance Festival – I put myself in a box now I don’t know how to get out - April 11, 2020