The new Philadelphia-based dance company, Vervet Dance, will host its grand opening performance and celebration at Mascher Space Cooperative, 155 Cecil B. Moore Ave, Philadelphia PA 19122 on Saturday, April 13, 2013. The Vervet and Friends Dance Performance showcases the host company, Vervet Dance and features other regional companies; Choreosplat Dance Works, Indonesian Cultural Club, Kalamandir Dance Company, and The Naked Stark in a celebratory evening with improvised and choreographed performances of contemporary, traditional, multi-media, and fusion dance.
Philadelphia-based dance artist Loren Groenendaal is launching Vervet Dance. This performance will showcase her contemporary choreography, “Ornamentation,” a whimsical septet inspired by the behavior of birds and traditional Balinese dance, performed by Philadelphia-area Vervet Dancers Lora Allen, Emily Herchenroether, Mutia Riasinta Hite, Mary O’Brien, Katherine Kiefer Stark, Kelly Turner, and Megan Wilson Stern to John Cage’s “Mysterious Adventure.”
Vervet Artistic Director/Choreographer Loren Groenendaal will be performing her own “Installment 1” a sculptural dance in an unusual costume designed by Groenendaal and Jakki Kalogridis that explores and reveals the color green and accompanied by special guest from New York City, Melinda Faylor on accordion, playing an adaptation of Olivier Messaien’s “Oraison.”
Groenendaal will also be performing a new mixed-media improvisational work, “tape work” with Boston-based percussionist, flandrew fleisenberg. “Tape work” combines live visual art, dance, and music into a dynamic installation constructed during the performance. The ‘painting’ produced during the performance will be made available via a raffle door prize to a lucky winner.
Loren Groenendaal’s choreography, “Ornamentation” with Vervet Dancers
from left to right, Kelly Turner, Ellen Gerdes, Katherine Kiefer Stark, Iis Tussyadiah,
Mutia Riasinta Hite, Mary O’Brien, and Lora Allen. Costume Design and Construction
by Loren Groenendaal and Jakki Kalogridis. Make-up design by Loren Groenendaal.
Photo by Rupa DasGupta.
This concert will also feature the work by other regional companies, including work of two Vervet dancers who are modern/contemporary choreographers Kelly Turner and Katherine Kiefer Stark. Turner’s Choreosplat dancers Megan Butler and Leanne Grieger will perform an excerpt of “Morpheus.” Stark’s The Naked Stark will share “Prelude” an excerpt of “Goodnight War” performed by Megan Wilson Stern. Kalamandir Dance Company from New Jersey will be sharing their Indian contemporary fusion “The Love that Remains” choreographed by Malabika Guha and the company and performed by Brinda Guha and Donia Salem. The Philadelphia/Delaware area Indonesian Cultural Club will be performing “Cendrawasih,” a Balinese dance in the classical style that will give Vervet’s Ornamentation a historical context for the new aesthetics.
After the performance, there will be a reception from 9:30-11:30pm with DJ and refreshment and DJ flandrew for dancing and celebrating the launch of this emerging company.
Tickets are available are $18 General Admission or $12 for Dance Professionals or Students with ID and are available from https://www.artful.ly/store/events/912 in advance or at the door.
- Presenting Dance As We Consider Reopening Post-Pandemic - May 20, 2020
- Stories From The Dance Front Lines - May 13, 2020
- Severe Budget Cuts To The Arts In Philadelphia Will Have A Much Wider Impact Than Just Our Economic Recovery - May 2, 2020
- WEEK 4 WINNER – SOLO BUT NOT ALONE, Online Dance Festival – Seaworthy - April 25, 2020
- Going Forward, An Opportunity To Re-Frame Post-Pandemic - April 21, 2020
- WEEK 3 WINNER – SOLO BUT NOT ALONE, Online Dance Festival – birdskin - April 18, 2020
- Editorial: I am not a pessimist nor optimist but a realist – getting our community started once again - April 15, 2020
- WEEK 2 WINNER – SOLO BUT NOT ALONE, Online Dance Festival – I put myself in a box now I don’t know how to get out - April 11, 2020
- Disciphering the Paycheck Protection Program – April 10th opens to independent contractors and self-employed individuals - April 10, 2020
- WEEK 1 Winner – SOLO BUT NOT ALONE, Online Dance Festival – Hand at the Museum - April 4, 2020