It all started innocently enough with a tweet to hundreds of Philadelphia dancers with a date and time for a new flash dance to be performed simultaneously throughout the city today. Choreography was posted weeks ago on a popular video streaming site for everyone to learn. The stage was set for what was to be one of the largest flash dances – city wide!
Perhaps still reeling from the 2012 Fringe Festival and its preponderance of dances in the nude, or spurred on by a local newspaper’s article last fall about being naked on stage, things just went horrible wrong. A reminder tweet, sent out to now thousands of would-be participants just hours before the event was to occur, contained a single typo. Instead of “flash dance”, it was now broadcast as “flesh dance”. Promoters of this event were quick to blame auto-correct on their cell phones.
Regardless, it is estimated that over five thousand naked dancers poured out on to the streets of Philadelphia in what has now been termed the largest sight of gyrating flesh doing a kick ball change. But the choreography they performed without skipping a beat, as some stood and gawked, while others covered their eyes and ran for cover. But it was the group grapevine and high kick finale that had authorities summoned. The crowd dispersed as quickly as it had assembled, having enjoyed a bit of the warm sunny weather to start their tans.
Dance Journal staff that was on hand to review this performance, could only shake their heads and comment “only on April 1st”.
- Philadelphia’s Own Trinity Dance Family goes to Arizona to compete in Hip Hop International - July 19, 2019
- Dawn Marie Bazemore creates socio-political work of substance - April 22, 2019
- Sanders and Yannick Soar With Romeo & Juliet - April 7, 2019
- Les Ballets Jazz de Montréal’s Tribute to Leonard Cohen with Dance Me - March 9, 2019
- (RE) Frame – MFA Thesis Performance by Blanca Huertas-Agnew - February 17, 2019
- Sammy Reyes’ Social Compass - January 29, 2019
- First Sunday at The Barnes with Rhonda Moore and Christina Castro-Tauser - November 7, 2018
- The Philly Sirens bring change to the East Coast Dance World - October 17, 2018
- Ruckus Dance ventures to Philadelphia - September 23, 2018
- Truly A Fringe Gem in Kind & Metal’s Indestructible Flowers - September 23, 2018