Ending a sparkling performance career, Pennsylvania Ballet Soloist Barette Vance Widell will take her final bow before an audience full of friends, family, and fans on Sunday, December 23 at the Academy of Music.
After 9 years dancing with the Company, Ms. Widell will retire with one of her most cherished roles, “Dew Drop” in George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker™. At approximately 7 p.m., once the curtain comes down and the cast takes their bows, there will be a special series of final bows for the retiring ballerina.
Always an exhilarating performer, Ms. Widell was born in Laguna Hills, California and began her dance training at age three. She joined Pennsylvania Ballet as an Apprentice in 2003 and rose through the ranks to a promotion to Soloist in 2008. Since joining the Company, she has danced numerous featured roles and originated a role in Benjamin Millepied’s This Part in Darkness. Also in 2008, Ms. Widell was named one of the most influential people in Philadelphia by Philadelphia Magazine, along with Philadelphia Eagles Head Coach Andy Reid, Mayor Michael Nutter, and Philadelphia Phillies 2nd Baseman Chase Utley. In 2010, Mentor Me Community Support honored Ms. Widell with a Community Impact Award for her work with underserved children in Philadelphia. Upon her retirement from the stage, Ms. Widell looks forward to exploring the business side of dance in her new role as Event Coordinator at Capezio.
Founded in 1963 by Balanchine student and protégée Barbara Weisberger, Pennsylvania Ballet is one of the nation’s leading ballet companies. Headquartered in Philadelphia, the Company’s annual local season features six programs of classic favorites and new works, including the Philadelphia holiday tradition, George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker™. For tickets to the remaining performances of George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker™, closing December 30, please visit paballet.org or call 215.893.1999.
- Dawn Marie Bazemore creates socio-political work of substance - April 22, 2019
- Sanders and Yannick Soar With Romeo & Juliet - April 7, 2019
- Les Ballets Jazz de Montréal’s Tribute to Leonard Cohen with Dance With Me - March 9, 2019
- (RE) Frame – MFA Thesis Performance by Blanca Huertas-Agnew - February 17, 2019
- Sammy Reyes’ Social Compass - January 29, 2019
- First Sunday at The Barnes with Rhonda Moore and Christina Castro-Tauser - November 7, 2018
- The Philly Sirens bring change to the East Coast Dance World - October 17, 2018
- Ruckus Dance ventures to Philadelphia - September 23, 2018
- Truly A Fringe Gem in Kind & Metal’s Indestructible Flowers - September 23, 2018
- Celebrating Fierce Women at The Barnes’ Artist Bash - September 22, 2018