As Congress and the White House consider various proposals to avoid the impending fiscal cliff scenario of more than $600 billion in federal spending cuts and tax increases for 2013, some have set their sights on limiting the deductions for charitable gifts and possibly even the status of nonprofit organizations as an answer. In particular, we are deeply troubled by reports of proposals under consideration that would create an aggregate dollar limit or percentage cap for all itemized deductions as a potential short-term revenue solution during the lame duck session.
Over the past 18 months, Americans for the Arts has intensified its outreach to Congress on the detrimental impact that these policies would have on thousands of nonprofit organizations across the country and, more importantly, the communities and individuals that they serve. In addition to lobbying on this issue during our own Arts Advocacy Day conferences for the last few years, we are actively working with Independent Sector and its diverse network of nonprofit organizations, ranging from American Cancer Society and YMCA to Catholic Charities and The Nature Conservancy. Together, we have lobbied dozens of congressional offices, sent letters (including one today) to the president, and ran ads in major political newspapers, with another new ad coming out this month.
YOU can ensure that your voice of support for the arts and the nonprofit sector is heard by your congressional delegation as they consider these issues in this lame duck session. CLICK HERE – Take two minutes to send a customizable message to your members of Congress.
- Dawn Marie Bazemore creates socio-political work of substance - April 22, 2019
- Sanders and Yannick Soar With Romeo & Juliet - April 7, 2019
- Les Ballets Jazz de Montréal’s Tribute to Leonard Cohen with Dance With Me - March 9, 2019
- (RE) Frame – MFA Thesis Performance by Blanca Huertas-Agnew - February 17, 2019
- Sammy Reyes’ Social Compass - January 29, 2019
- First Sunday at The Barnes with Rhonda Moore and Christina Castro-Tauser - November 7, 2018
- The Philly Sirens bring change to the East Coast Dance World - October 17, 2018
- Ruckus Dance ventures to Philadelphia - September 23, 2018
- Truly A Fringe Gem in Kind & Metal’s Indestructible Flowers - September 23, 2018
- Celebrating Fierce Women at The Barnes’ Artist Bash - September 22, 2018