Seven women gather for a dinner party that turns surreal when Tangle’s aerial acrobats climb the curtains, cartwheel across tables, spark new relationships, and resist the pull of gravity in their dynamic new show, You Don’t Say. On Thursday September 13th (8pm), Friday September 14th (8pm), and Saturday September 15th (3pm and 8pm), Tangle will bring their new work to Philadelphia Soundstages in Northern Liberties (1600 N. 5th Street).
In You Don’t Say, Tangle’s innovative circus-theater style animates the dramas, intrigues, and fresh connections that happen at a gathering of old and new friends. A party guest gets bored and starts climbing on the furniture. A trapeze doubles as loveseat for a budding romance, while small talk between strangers turns into a gymnastic exploration of chairs, tables, and one another. Two women work out their frustration and flirtation in a dance that traverses the room and reaches the ceiling. Tangle’s athletic aerial dance tells the story of a complex web of friendship and community.
“We’re really proud of You Don’t Say’s innovative mix of dance, theater, and aerial acrobatics— a contemporary circus style that’s perfect for the Philadelphia Fringe Festival,” says Tangle founder Lauren Rile Smith. “Our show is about the energy and connections between a group of female friends. It’s exciting to showcase female strength and relationships with the literal, physical support we provide one another as aerial acrobats.”
Tangle Movement Arts is an eight-woman circus arts performing company with an interdisciplinary focus, based in West Philadelphia. Tangle integrates traditional circus disciplines like trapeze, aerial silks and rope, lyra, and partner balancing with dance, theater, live music, and spoken word. Tangle’s unique performance style captivates audiences and tells a many-dimensional story. Philadelphia City Paper said, “More than just a trapeze act…. there is a wisdom and elegance here, showing us that circus arts are much more than girls on ponies.”
Tangle company members have studied performance and trained circus arts at schools from around the world to the Philadelphia School of Circus Arts, and now bring their skills to a unique venue (Philadelphia Soundstages’ infinity cyclorama) in Northern Liberties. Audiences are invited to this one-of-a-kind premiere, a proud part of the 2012 Philadelphia Fringe Festival.
Tangle presents You Don’t Say
an evening of vertical dance and drama.
Philadelphia Soundstages, 1600 N. 5th Street, Philadelphia 19122.
Thursday Sept. 13 at 8pm, Friday Sept. 14 at 8pm, and Saturday Sept. 15 at 3pm and 8pm.
Tickets: $10-15 (discount for students and theatergoers under 25).
Purchase at the door or through the Live Arts and Philly Fringe box office.
- Meg Foley named finalist in The National Dance Project (NDP) Grant - June 18, 2020
- Philadelphia City Council approved a preliminary budget that restores some funding back to the Cultural Fund - June 18, 2020
- Presenting Dance As We Consider Reopening Post-Pandemic - May 20, 2020
- Stories From The Dance Front Lines - May 13, 2020
- Severe Budget Cuts To The Arts In Philadelphia Will Have A Much Wider Impact Than Just Our Economic Recovery - May 2, 2020
- WEEK 4 WINNER – SOLO BUT NOT ALONE, Online Dance Festival – Seaworthy - April 25, 2020
- Going Forward, An Opportunity To Re-Frame Post-Pandemic - April 21, 2020
- WEEK 3 WINNER – SOLO BUT NOT ALONE, Online Dance Festival – birdskin - April 18, 2020
- Editorial: I am not a pessimist nor optimist but a realist – getting our community started once again - April 15, 2020
- WEEK 2 WINNER – SOLO BUT NOT ALONE, Online Dance Festival – I put myself in a box now I don’t know how to get out - April 11, 2020