Fifty or more artists of varying genres, from dancers to musicians, from muralists to chefs, will participate in a week-long arts and community event this summer. From July 29 through August 5, ReSourceArts (RSA), a new arts organization, will be transforming the Crane Arts Old School White Space into a center for emerging and established artists to share their talents with the community.
Each day of the event offers unique programming showcasing a variety of artists – from a chef creating a four-course Korean-fusion meal to a mini workshop in Zumba and Capoira. There is even an open mic night, where the audience helps to craft a poem to lead off a bboy/bgirl battle and dance party. Each day’s schedule is unique, but packed with fun and a chance to experience a variety of arts at very reasonable prices. Tickets range from free to sixty dollars.
The main event, ReSourceArts Live, will showcase live dance, music, and poetry on the center stage. Dance performances are spotlighted by Life, Rhythm, Move Project, internationally sought-after dancers Spex and Tyger B, and Philadelphia-based Aztec dance company Fuego Nuevo. Poets Jonathan B. Tucker and Mahogany Browne, along with musical group Leana Song, complete the program. A complete listing of events can be found on their web site at www.resourcearts.weebly.com/event-calendar
Headed by Philadelphia transplant, Emily Arden Eakland, and Washingtonian Aysha Upchurch, RSA creates a space for artists, communities and creative souls to collaborate via live performances, workshops, social events and community engagement activities. At its core RSA is committed to providing high-quality art and creative endeavors that also have a conscious undertone. RSA seeks to create dialogues with like-minded organizations and artiosts about the issues most pressing in their surrounding community.
July 29 – August 5
The Crane Arts Old School: The White Space, 1427 N 2nd Street, Philadelphia, PA 19122
Tickets & Information: http://resourcearts.weebly.com/event-calendar.html
Highlighted Dance Performances & Workshops
Friday, August 3
6:00pm-12:00am Mizu (Water) 2X2 Battles & Party hosted by Tyger B;
Battle Styles: Funk Category (Popping/Locking), Bboy/Bgirl Category, and House/Experimental
Cost: $8 per person. Bring 2 guests, 3rd person is free. Participating in battle: $15 per person.
Saturday, August 4
2:30pm-5:30pm Raices Culturales Latinoamericanas & Usiloquy Dance Designs Present: Indian Steps and Sounds
Indian dance workshop @ 2:30pm followed by beginner level Flamenco workshop @ 4:00pm
7:30pm-9:00pm ReSourceArts Live Performance featuring dance, music, and poetry
Artists include: Mahogany Browne, Jonathan B. Tucker, Leana Song, Life, Rhythm, Move Project, Fuego Nuevo, Spex, Tyger B, and more!
Sunday, August 5
10:00am-2:00pm Workshop series: dance, music, and poetry
$8 per class. Day pass (good for all six classes): $25.
- Meg Foley named finalist in The National Dance Project (NDP) Grant - June 18, 2020
- Philadelphia City Council approved a preliminary budget that restores some funding back to the Cultural Fund - June 18, 2020
- Presenting Dance As We Consider Reopening Post-Pandemic - May 20, 2020
- Stories From The Dance Front Lines - May 13, 2020
- Severe Budget Cuts To The Arts In Philadelphia Will Have A Much Wider Impact Than Just Our Economic Recovery - May 2, 2020
- WEEK 4 WINNER – SOLO BUT NOT ALONE, Online Dance Festival – Seaworthy - April 25, 2020
- Going Forward, An Opportunity To Re-Frame Post-Pandemic - April 21, 2020
- WEEK 3 WINNER – SOLO BUT NOT ALONE, Online Dance Festival – birdskin - April 18, 2020
- Editorial: I am not a pessimist nor optimist but a realist – getting our community started once again - April 15, 2020
- WEEK 2 WINNER – SOLO BUT NOT ALONE, Online Dance Festival – I put myself in a box now I don’t know how to get out - April 11, 2020