Fifty or more artists of varying genres, from dancers to musicians, from muralists to chefs, will participate in a week-long arts and community event this summer. From July 29 through August 5, ReSourceArts (RSA), a new arts organization, will be transforming the Crane Arts Old School White Space into a center for emerging and established artists to share their talents with the community.
Each day of the event offers unique programming showcasing a variety of artists – from a chef creating a four-course Korean-fusion meal to a mini workshop in Zumba and Capoira. There is even an open mic night, where the audience helps to craft a poem to lead off a bboy/bgirl battle and dance party. Each day’s schedule is unique, but packed with fun and a chance to experience a variety of arts at very reasonable prices. Tickets range from free to sixty dollars.
The main event, ReSourceArts Live, will showcase live dance, music, and poetry on the center stage. Dance performances are spotlighted by Life, Rhythm, Move Project, internationally sought-after dancers Spex and Tyger B, and Philadelphia-based Aztec dance company Fuego Nuevo. Poets Jonathan B. Tucker and Mahogany Browne, along with musical group Leana Song, complete the program. A complete listing of events can be found on their web site at www.resourcearts.weebly.com/event-calendar
Headed by Philadelphia transplant, Emily Arden Eakland, and Washingtonian Aysha Upchurch, RSA creates a space for artists, communities and creative souls to collaborate via live performances, workshops, social events and community engagement activities. At its core RSA is committed to providing high-quality art and creative endeavors that also have a conscious undertone. RSA seeks to create dialogues with like-minded organizations and artiosts about the issues most pressing in their surrounding community.
July 29 – August 5
The Crane Arts Old School: The White Space, 1427 N 2nd Street, Philadelphia, PA 19122
Tickets & Information: http://resourcearts.weebly.com/event-calendar.html
Highlighted Dance Performances & Workshops
Friday, August 3
6:00pm-12:00am Mizu (Water) 2X2 Battles & Party hosted by Tyger B;
Battle Styles: Funk Category (Popping/Locking), Bboy/Bgirl Category, and House/Experimental
Cost: $8 per person. Bring 2 guests, 3rd person is free. Participating in battle: $15 per person.
Saturday, August 4
2:30pm-5:30pm Raices Culturales Latinoamericanas & Usiloquy Dance Designs Present: Indian Steps and Sounds
Indian dance workshop @ 2:30pm followed by beginner level Flamenco workshop @ 4:00pm
7:30pm-9:00pm ReSourceArts Live Performance featuring dance, music, and poetry
Artists include: Mahogany Browne, Jonathan B. Tucker, Leana Song, Life, Rhythm, Move Project, Fuego Nuevo, Spex, Tyger B, and more!
Sunday, August 5
10:00am-2:00pm Workshop series: dance, music, and poetry
$8 per class. Day pass (good for all six classes): $25.
- Philadelphia’s Own Trinity Dance Family goes to Arizona to compete in Hip Hop International - July 19, 2019
- Dawn Marie Bazemore creates socio-political work of substance - April 22, 2019
- Sanders and Yannick Soar With Romeo & Juliet - April 7, 2019
- Les Ballets Jazz de Montréal’s Tribute to Leonard Cohen with Dance Me - March 9, 2019
- (RE) Frame – MFA Thesis Performance by Blanca Huertas-Agnew - February 17, 2019
- Sammy Reyes’ Social Compass - January 29, 2019
- First Sunday at The Barnes with Rhonda Moore and Christina Castro-Tauser - November 7, 2018
- The Philly Sirens bring change to the East Coast Dance World - October 17, 2018
- Ruckus Dance ventures to Philadelphia - September 23, 2018
- Truly A Fringe Gem in Kind & Metal’s Indestructible Flowers - September 23, 2018