Sorry for being MIA from my photo column. I have been decompressing from a crazy past couple months.
So for this week’s column I wanted to take a THEN and NOW type look at myself. First the THEN …
The shot above is from 2008’s Shut Up and Dance. Not a bad shot, but if you look, you can tell it is a little soft (focus isn’t that sharp) and just doesn’t have that oomph, that wow factor. Now I’ve been shooting performances for nine years. Yep, next year in 2013 is my big tenth year anniversary. The first five years was definitely rough, getting folks to give me a shot and developing my skills in the process. I shot everything from Capoeira, to Hip-Hop, Modern, Ballet and even the Mummers.
Fast forward to NOW…
with a shot from the recent Indigenous Pitch show. These past few years I have really developed my style, and definitely shifted from not just trying to shoot the movement, but really trying to capture the essence that makes up each individual moment.
Now granted these two images are two drastically different moments, but for those that have followed my work over the years, I’m pretty sure that you see the difference.
For those who have asked me how I do what I do, and how I learned to do it? I learned the basics of photography and then started shooting – practice, practice, practice. You can’t do anything without a strong foundation, and then the passion to do something with it. Still figuring out the “it”, which for me is what I want to continue to do with my photography. At the very minimum, it is supporting this amazing dance community, while still figuring out where my own artistic path will take me.
Right now that path is taking me to catch up on some much needed sleep.
Keep your eyes peeled for another new photo column coming soon.
- The Dancing Monks of Assam - April 18, 2018
- In the studio with Darrell Grand Moultrie - February 4, 2018
- Bill Hebert’s Philly Holiday Sampler - December 17, 2017
- BalletX presents Nicolo Fonte’s Beautiful Decay - December 1, 2017
- Temple University Student Concert, Fall 2017 - November 12, 2017
- Temple University Alumni Concert - October 8, 2017
- DUENDE – Break My Echo at FringeArts 2017 - September 13, 2017
- A photo Review of BalletX Summer Series 2017 - July 14, 2017
- Behind The Lens with Pasión y Arte at The Barnes Foundation - June 7, 2017
- Sneak Peak at BalletX Spring Series 2017 - May 3, 2017