Pennsylvania Ballet presents the grand finale of the 2011-2012 Season, the Company premiere of Jerome Robbins’s N.Y. Export: Opus Jazz, with Peter Martins’s Barber Violin Concerto and the World Premiere of Matthew Neenan’s Beside them, they dwell, May 31-June 3, 2012 at the Merriam Theater. Fred Alger Management is the Presenting Sponsor.
“What better way to close our season than with a triple bill that showcases the Company’s diverse strengths,” Artistic Director Roy Kaiser says.
Feel the flavor of the city that never sleeps with Jerome Robbins’s N.Y. Export: Opus Jazz. Robbins’s “ballet in sneakers” celebrates the youth and vitality of the era in which it emerged: the distinctly cool 1950’s. N.Y. Export: Opus Jazz adopts the spirit of Robbins’s renowned musical, West Side Story, with Broadway-style theatricality saturating this series of dances to the music of Robert Prince.
Also on the bill, Peter Martins’s Barber Violin Concerto features two couples, bathed in white, performing a brilliant series of pas de deux. The piece embodies the lyrical movement of Samuel Barber’s inventive score that bridges from an opening adagio to its final scherzo, exploring the dichotomy between classical ballet and modern dance in three movements.
To complete the program, Choreographer in Residence Matthew Neenan mounts his much-anticipated World Premiere, Beside them, they dwell. Neenan’s 13th commission for the Company, and first since 2009, is set to music by French composer Pierre Boulez, with costumes designed by Christine Darch.
Tickets to N.Y. Export: Opus Jazz are on sale now, with prices starting at $20. Tickets are available online at paballet.org, by phone at 215.893.1999, and in person at the Kimmel Center Box Office.
N.Y. Export: Opus Jazz performances at the Merriam Theater:
- Thursday, May 31 at 7:30 p.m.
- Friday, June 1 at 7:30 p.m.
- Saturday, June 2 at 2 p.m.
- Saturday, June 2 at 8 p.m.
- Sunday, June 3 at 2 p.m.
- Sanders and Yannick Soar With Romeo & Juliet - April 7, 2019
- Les Ballets Jazz de Montréal’s Tribute to Leonard Cohen with Dance With Me - March 9, 2019
- (RE) Frame – MFA Thesis Performance by Blanca Huertas-Agnew - February 17, 2019
- Sammy Reyes’ Social Compass - January 29, 2019
- First Sunday at The Barnes with Rhonda Moore and Christina Castro-Tauser - November 7, 2018
- The Philly Sirens bring change to the East Coast Dance World - October 17, 2018
- Ruckus Dance ventures to Philadelphia - September 23, 2018
- Truly A Fringe Gem in Kind & Metal’s Indestructible Flowers - September 23, 2018
- Celebrating Fierce Women at The Barnes’ Artist Bash - September 22, 2018
- A Break from Philly Fringe with Koresh Artist Showcase - September 17, 2018