Principal Dancer Arantxa Ochoa in La Fille mal gardée. Photo: Paul Kolnik.
Pennsylvania Ballet brings its 2010-2011 Season to a joyous conclusion with Sir Frederick Ashton’s beloved romantic comedy, La Fille mal gardée, June 2-11, 2011 at the Academy of Music.
“La Fille is a true gem in our repertoire, a near-perfect narrative ballet,” Artistic Director Roy Kaiser says. “Ashton strikes just the right balance of technically demanding dancing, tender moments, and flat-out fun.”
Loosely translated as “The Wayward Daughter,” La Fille mal gardée is Ashton’s touching tale of two determined lovers and their quest to marry. Lise, the young daughter of a wealthy farmer, is in love with Colas, a handsome, young farm worker, but her mother disapproves. Instead, she arranges for Lise to marry Alain, the eccentric, simpleton son of a successful vintner. Set along a backdrop of simple country life, this uplifting ballet is brimming with charming characters, memorable dances, and hilarious antics like dancing hens and even a live pony! A heartwarming story, La Fille mal gardée illuminates the spirit of true love.
Tickets to La Fille mal gardée are on sale now, with prices ranging from $20 to $139. Tickets are available online at paballet.org, by phone at 215.893.1999, or in person at the Kimmel Center Box Office. Groups of 10 or more receive great discounts and perks through Group Sales Manager Arajua Backman at 215.587.6921 or email@example.com.
La Fille mal gardée performances at the Academy of Music:
- Thursday, June 2 at 7:30 p.m.
- Saturday, June 4 at noon
- Sunday, June 5 at 2 p.m.
- Friday, June 10 at 7:30 p.m.
- Saturday, June 11 at 2 p.m. and 8 p.m.
- Dawn Marie Bazemore creates socio-political work of substance - April 22, 2019
- Sanders and Yannick Soar With Romeo & Juliet - April 7, 2019
- Les Ballets Jazz de Montréal’s Tribute to Leonard Cohen with Dance With Me - March 9, 2019
- (RE) Frame – MFA Thesis Performance by Blanca Huertas-Agnew - February 17, 2019
- Sammy Reyes’ Social Compass - January 29, 2019
- First Sunday at The Barnes with Rhonda Moore and Christina Castro-Tauser - November 7, 2018
- The Philly Sirens bring change to the East Coast Dance World - October 17, 2018
- Ruckus Dance ventures to Philadelphia - September 23, 2018
- Truly A Fringe Gem in Kind & Metal’s Indestructible Flowers - September 23, 2018
- Celebrating Fierce Women at The Barnes’ Artist Bash - September 22, 2018