Mayor Nutter announced new cuts to the city budget that directly impacts arts and culture in this city. This includes a 35% reduction to the Philadelphia Cultural Fund (or $1,120,000), the Recreation Fund, and the Community Land Care Program run by the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society (or $840,000).
This is a stark contrast to statements made by the Mayor only a year ago. “There is something about art and music and culture that enhances the quality of life of this city,” Mayor Michael Nutter said in an interview with The Associated Press. “I think, even more so in these economic times … it helps us to cope and to deal with the madness around us, which virtually none of us can do anything about.”
In the 2009 interview, Nutter had even cited figures from the Philadelphia Cultural Alliance report, stating that arts and culture in the region employs 40,000 people and generates more than $1 billion in economic activity every year.
These new budget cuts will impact cultural groups that contribute to the long-term health, vitality, and sustainability of our region, serving thousands of city residents and visitors.
Please show your support for restoring Cultural Funding and remind the Mayor of his support for arts and culture by signing the online petition at
- Philadelphia’s Own Trinity Dance Family goes to Arizona to compete in Hip Hop International - July 19, 2019
- Dawn Marie Bazemore creates socio-political work of substance - April 22, 2019
- Sanders and Yannick Soar With Romeo & Juliet - April 7, 2019
- Les Ballets Jazz de Montréal’s Tribute to Leonard Cohen with Dance With Me - March 9, 2019
- (RE) Frame – MFA Thesis Performance by Blanca Huertas-Agnew - February 17, 2019
- Sammy Reyes’ Social Compass - January 29, 2019
- First Sunday at The Barnes with Rhonda Moore and Christina Castro-Tauser - November 7, 2018
- The Philly Sirens bring change to the East Coast Dance World - October 17, 2018
- Ruckus Dance ventures to Philadelphia - September 23, 2018
- Truly A Fringe Gem in Kind & Metal’s Indestructible Flowers - September 23, 2018