Full Time Job Lilongwe Dance Program seeks Dance Program Director – Lilongwe, Malawi, Africa
Founded in 2018, the Lilongwe Dance Program provides high-quality classical ballet and modern dance instruction for children and teenagers ages 3 through 18 years in Lilongwe, Malawi. The program is unique in Malawi, offering classical dance instruction open to the general public. To-date the program has nearly 100 students enrolled. Students participate in weekly classes, biannual recitals and class demonstrations, and perform in an annual production of the Nutcracker. The program also brings professional dancers to Lilongwe on short-term visits to teach workshops and lead performances. The program is run in partnership with Tweeties Play Centre, a children’s afterschool program offering languages, music, art and life-skills, and Madsoc Theatre, Malawi’s only purpose-built theater and a hub for performing arts in Lilongwe.
For more information, please visit our website at: https://lilongwedance.wixsite.com/mysite.
The Dance Program Director will be responsible for overall program direction, working closely with the Program Team, which includes the Directors of Tweeties Play Centre and Madsoc Theatre and the Program Founder. In particular, the Dance Program Director will be responsible to:
- Teach weekly ballet classes for enrolled students;
- Teach classes in other dance styles (eg. modern, contemporary, jazz etc.) for enrolled students;
- Provide intensive coaching to train two Malawian ballet instructors;
- Organize 1-2 recitals or public performances annually;
- Organize periodic “observation classes” for parents to watch their students in class;
- Lead the annual Nutcracker production (choreography, costumes and sets will be provided);
- Host invited professional dancers for short-term visits, including all logistical arrangements and organizing workshop and performance schedules;
- Lead fundraising efforts and program expansion in collaboration with the Program Team;
- Provide administrative support to the program;
- Other responsibilities as agreed with the Program Team.
All interested candidates must meet the following qualifications:
- Over the age of 18;
- Minimum of 6 years of classical ballet training;
- Training in other dance styles (eg. modern, contemporary, jazz, tap) is an advantage;
- Experience teaching ballet and/or other dance styles is an advantage;
- Professional or semi-professional dance performance experience is an advantage;
- Open-minded, resilient, self-starter, resourceful and creative;
- Flexible, culturally-sensitive, and willing to work and live in Lilongwe, Malawi;
- English language fluency.
Compensation and Commitment
The Dance Program Director will receive a monthly cost of living stipend, roundtrip air ticket, visa fee, vaccination coverage, and local health insurance. Assistance will be provided to secure housing upon arrival. The stipend and benefits package is sufficient to cover the cost of living in Malawi, and is equivalent to other well-known fellowship and volunteer programs in Malawi. The Director must be willing to commit to the program for a minimum of 6 to 12 months, beginning in January 2020. Start date is negotiable.
How to ApplyInterested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume/CV detailing their interest in the program and qualifications, in particular highlighting dance education, performance, and teaching experience. Candidates are also encouraged to submit a link to a short video that showcases their dance technique. Applications should be submitted to email@example.com by September 15, 2019.
131 total views, 3 today