Full Time Job Assistant Artistic Director
JOB OPENING – ASSISTANT ARTISTIC DIRECTOR
WILMINGTON BALLET, ACADEMY OF THE DANCE
Wilmington Ballet (WB) is a non-profit dance academy that has been dedicated to excellence in ballet training since 1956. WB’s annual Nutcracker at the Playhouse Theater provides students of all ages the opportunity to perform on a professional stage with world-class guest artists and live orchestra. WB serves all members of our surrounding community and has a rapidly growing student body of 200+ ranging in age from 4 – 74! WB engages in community building and fundraising to provide scholarships to those of its students who cannot otherwise afford tuition. WB’s professionally-experienced faculty helps students achieve whatever dance goals they wish to attain: from recreational enjoyment to high school and college arts programs, to professional companies (esteemed alumni include Susan Stroman, Akua Noni Parker, Lateef Williams, Benjamin Cannon, and others). WB values its traditions but also seeks to prepare students for the demands of a changing dance world. Every day we witness the transformative experience of high level dance instruction and performing opportunities at WB to develop confidence, discipline, sense of community, life skills, and overall physical and emotional health in our students.
The Assistant Artistic Director (AAD) position provides an exceptional opportunity to help manage all aspects of a beloved Wilmington dance academy. The AAD has significant artistic responsibility as an instructor, choreographer, and production assistant. In addition, the AAD supports the Director in managing the school and outreach programs. The AAD position requires a candidate who can take direction and collaborate well with the Director but who can also exercise considerable independence and initiative, manage students of all ages, communicate well (both orally and in writing) with customers and collaborators, establish class and rehearsal schedules, and manage time optimally. This position offers room for growth and advancement!
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Instruction in all levels of ballet technique; prefer candidate who also has a strong background in modern/jazz/contemporary or other styles of dance
- Help manage daily communications with students, customers, alumni, and community partners
- Help build curriculum and programming
- Schedule classes and rehearsals
- Choreograph and rehearse students for performances (including Nutcracker, Spring show, special events); help manage productions
- Oversee wardrobe and props
- Schedule and manage costume fittings and photos sessions
- Develop and produce outreach programs and performances
- Professional ballet company experience and/or BFA/MFA from a University Dance Program
- Teaching and choreographic experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Creativity and innovation to improve existing processes and define new processes
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Computer skills and proficiency in Microsoft Office software, Google Drive, and music editing a plus!
- Detail-oriented and organized
- Ideal candidate must demonstrate maturity, have excellent judgment, discretion and problem solving abilities, and be able to handle multiple priorities simultaneously while meeting deadlines
Compensation: $35,000-$40,000 depending on experience
Hours: Flexible/Negotiable, but need approximately 40 hours/week, inclusive of Saturdays and evenings during prime production seasons
Benefits: As a small non-profit, we are unable to offer a health benefits package. However, we offer generous time off and our employees are welcome to attend any of our dance classes free of charge. This position also offers room for growth and advancement.
How to ApplyIf you are interested in this position, please include a cover letter explaining why you wish to work with Wilmington Ballet along with your résumé to the Executive Artistic Director, Wilmington Ballet:email@example.com
199 total views, 3 today