Call for Guest Artists: Tangle’s THE WAY OUT drive-thru Fringe show at
Laurel Hill (10/1-10/3)
CALLING dancers, storytellers, improvisers, movers, street performers,
devisers, puppeteers, and more!
Tangle seeks guest artists from a variety of performance disciplines to
create a 5-minute act which will repeat throughout the night, as part of an
evening of 100% socially distanced performance for a drive-through
audience. This immersive, site-specific show will unspool across 78 acres
of Laurel Hill Cemetery on Thursday October 1 through Saturday October 3,
as part of the 2020 Fringe Festival. THE WAY OUT is an evening of
performance made for the pandemic– capturing a world inside a bubble, a
meditation on time and history, and pockets of memory illuminated by flame.
Tangle’s drive-through Fringe performance unfolds at a series of stations
across the historic cemetery. One carload at a time, the audience moves
through Laurel Hill from start to finish, parking to view each performance
before continuing along the path. Solo (or socially distanced) performers
repeat their individual scenes on loop for each group.
A 100% socially distanced/COVID compliant production, THE WAY OUT seeks
additional guest artists to contribute standalone performance stations, in
collaboration with Tangle. Previously created material may be adapted, or
new work could be devised.
MORE INFO FOR ARTISTS:
– Artists will receive at least $300 stipend for the performance run and at
least $50 reimbursement for costs.
– Artists must be available for tech rehearsal (Wednesday Sept. 30) and
rain date (Sunday Oct. 4).
– Performances will be entirely outdoors, on grass or asphalt.
– This call is for is for solo or shared household/quaranteam performers,
or ensembles that can be fully socially distanced.
– All performers and crew will stay 8+ feet apart throughout the entire
rehearsal and performance process.
– Artists must be able to transport themselves to Laurel Hill Cemetery
(3822 Ridge Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19132).
– Tangle will provide basic lighting and audio for each performance.
– If set pieces are part of guest artists’ performance, the artists
should be able to set up and load out entirely by themselves.
– Onsite parking and restrooms are available for artists (not audience
– Masks will be required for all performers and crew by default, except
while performing at certain distances.
– THE WAY OUT is fully compliant with City of Philadelphia COVID-prevention
requirements, and beyond.
– For any additional questions, including more information about our
COVID-prevention plans, please contact Lauren at email@example.com.
Experienced producers of Philadelphia-based interdisciplinary performance,
Tangle Movement Arts is a circus arts company with a contemporary twist,
which has been a Philly Fringe favorite since its inception in 2011.
Tangle’s work mixes traditional circus like trapeze and acrobatics with
dance, theater, and live music to tell a multi-dimensional story, with an
emphasis on queer and female experiences, and is devised collaboratively by
its all-female ensemble. Broad Street Review calls Tangle “reliably
thrilling,” and Philadelphia Weekly says Tangle “blends circus-style
acrobatics with a smart theatrical spin.”
You must sign in to bookmark this listing.
Apply For job
You must sign in to apply for this position.