Koresh Kids Dance seeks motivated candidates excited about teaching community dance for a year-long teacher training apprenticeship!
Koresh Dance Company is a 501©3 non-profit dance organization in Philadelphia, PA. It is the mission of Koresh dance to enrich the cultural landscape and artistic reputation of Philadelphia. We serve our mission through three program areas; performance, education and community outreach.
Koresh Kids Dance has been a community partner of the School District of Philadelphia for 15 years, and currently partners with 24 2nd-5th grade classrooms in 10 elementary schools within the District. Our residencies run from October-June and provide rigorous, high-quality creative dance instruction during the school day. Students learn fundamental dance technique and movement vocabulary, while developing their own creative voice and building key social and emotional skills. Over the course of a residency, students are invited to create their own dances individually, in small groups and in collaboration as a class, culminating in a final performance of their work.
Teaching apprentice requirements:
· Must have a BA, BFA or higher education in Dance or Dance Education, or equivalent experience
· Must be motivated to teach, interested in working in Philadelphia public schools, and able to commit to the full school year (October-June)
· Applicants should desire to facilitate students as creative artists and center student voice in their teaching
· Must be able to teach collaboratively and facilitate collaboration among students
· Preference given to applicants who have experience teaching in a school or other community dance setting
· Must be able to complete clearances as required by the School District of Philadelphia
Teaching apprentice responsibilities:
· Assist at least 2 dance classes for 2-5th grade students beginning the week of October 11th and culminating in early June. Classes will be at consecutive times during one regularly scheduled school day (8:30 AM-3 PM)–exact day, time and school placement TBD
· Gradually take on increased responsibilities for lesson planning and lead teaching as the year progresses
· Learn and implement the Koresh Kids Dance classroom model
· Develop lesson plans based in creative dance concepts
· Help to develop and maintain a classroom environment that is safe for creating dance
· Facilitate the development of students as artists, choreographers, and dancers
· Assist the program director in developing a final end of the year performance
· Attend up to 3 teaching artist meetings and PD sessions throughout the year outside of teaching
· Possible opportunity for an additional placement as an Assistant Teaching Artist