[PhiladelphiaDANCE.org Listserv] Join a Dance and Racial Equity Conversation April 6th, 6:30pm

Katherine Stark thenakedstark at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 12:50:42 EDT 2021

Please join in a community conversation this coming, *Tuesday, April 6th,
6:30pm - 8:00pm *
Part of a monthly gathering to share resources and talk about the ways that
the dance community is navigating questions of equity in race and funding
in Philadelphia.
Spread the word!

This is a space to come together to share thoughts, concerns and hopes for
funding and racial justice in Philly dance. *April's focus is on the
question "What would success in funding and racial equity in dance look
like in Philly?" *This is a chance to learn more about each other and to
brainstorm ways to lift up the dance community as a whole - with a focus on
racial equity.

~~~~~~~~
*Zoom link:*
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86719575424?pwd=azI1dkJIT2VUK0orRDdaYW5mL0thQT09
Context:
This group originated when Philly-based dance artists, administrators, and
stakeholders got together in the summer of 2020 to write a letter in
support of the Philly Cultural Fund, under threat of severe budget cuts. We
galvanized to support the PCF and identified how its funding intersects
with defunding the Philadelphia police department.
We now propose regularly holding space for one another on Zoom. Our focus
is racial equity and its intersections in Philadelphia, as it relates to
dance, community, funding, and institutions. Each meeting's
facilitator(s)** will share clear speaking guidelines so that we can make
the Zoom as safe of a space as possible, prioritizing Black and Indigenous
artists' voices in the conversation.
As of now, the idea is that this space will be held/facilitated once a
month to come together, build community, exchange resources and ideas (with
a focus on funding, equity, & racial justice in Philly dance), and
potentially break off into more action-oriented groups.
**April's meeting will be facilitated by Keila Cordova, Nichole Canuso,
Katherine Keifer Stark and Anna Drozdowski with support from Katherine
Desimine, Iquail Shaheed and Mira Treatman. Ideas for a rotating/shared
leadership structure are in the works.

--
Katherine Kiefer Stark, MFA
Pronouns