[PhiladelphiaDANCE.org Listserv] This weekend: The air is describing us

Paige Phillips pgephllps at gmail.com
Wed May 8 10:59:01 EDT 2019

This weekend, come to Mascher Space for an evening of dance, installation,
and sound: The air is describing us / lining our bodies / squeezing us
gently / inside and out

May 10-11 @ 8PM
Tickets: Sliding Scale $15-$30
https://www.danceboxoffice.com/?page_id=1706

Mascher Space
155 Cecil B Moore Ave
2nd floor | not ADA accessible

Learn more: https://www.movepaige.com/the-air-is-describing-us

Choreography by Paige Phillips
Installation by Evan Dawson
Sound by Liam Ze'ev O'Connor

Performers: Josh Hines, Kelly Hurlburt, Ani Javian, Katherine Kiefer Stark,
Ashley Lippolis, Celine McBride, Kate Seethaler, Mary Carmen Webb

The evening consists of 2 works: 'The air is describing us' began by asking
six performers to explore the physicality of falling, and spiraled into a
dichotomous community that feels isolated, yet requires the full support of
the group to complete tasks. It acts as a metaphor for contemporary life,
as we propel ourselves forward together despite ceaseless crashes around
us. 'It’s just easier this way' is performed by Josh Hines and Kelly
Hurlburt, dancers from Columbus, OH. Their partnership in real life allows
the dynamics of the duet to be intimate. It is at times sexy, funny,
uncomfortable, and intense. The work grapples with the tired, gendering
tropes that our culture places upon heteronormative relationships.