[PhiladelphiaDANCE.org Listserv] Matching Tone/Matching Power, Sunday contact improvisation classes

Nicole Bindler nicolebindler at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 08:46:27 EST 2019

WHEN: Sundays in February, 1-3 pm
WHERE: Headlong Studios, 1170 S. Broad St. (near Broad/Federal SEPTA stop)
HOW: $10 drop-in

WHAT: This February we'll be exploring the idea of tone in our contact
improvisation (CI) dances, using CI skills and Body-Mind Centering® (BMC®)
practices. In BMC we often refer to a person’s tone as a way of describing
their overall state of activity vs. rest or tension vs. release. Tone can
vary from one part of the body to another, and many people who occupy a
single space can embody distinct and diverse expressions of tone. In CI and
BMC we often experiment with matching other people’s tone, or going under
or over their tone to explore the various ways we can meet others.

When we look at these principles through an embodied lens, we find a wealth
of knowledge and material to use in our CI practice toward more dynamic,
juicy, relational dances. When we look at these principles through a social
lens, we find opportunities to explore power dynamics, and any biases we
might have toward certain kinds of tone. Through a broadening of our
capacity to modulate our tone, we can find avenues toward more creativity,
agency, freedom, and safety in our CI dances.

WHO: Nicole Bindler <https://www.nicolebindler.com/>'s performance work and
teaching have been presented at festivals and intensives throughout the
U.S., Canada, Argentina, Europe, and in Tokyo, Beirut, Bethlehem, Mexico
City, and Quito. Her dances have been supported by the Pew Center for Arts
and Heritage, Leeway Foundation, Puffin Foundation, Foundation for
Contemporary Arts, Pennsylvania Council on the Arts, and the Ellen Forman
Memorial Award. Bindler holds a BA in Dance and Poetry from Hampshire
College, a degree in Muscular Therapy from the Muscular Therapy Institute,
and certificates in Embodied Anatomy Yoga, Embodied Developmental Movement
and Yoga, and Practitioner of Body-Mind Centering® from the School for
Body-Mind Centering®. She has been on faculty at Temple University,
University of the Arts, and the University of Pennsylvania, and has guest
lectured at Drexel University, University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee,
University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Hameline University, Arizona State
University. University of Texas, Austin, Goldsmith’s University, St Mary’s
College of Maryland, Moore College of Art and Design, and Ursinus College.
Her writing on dance and somatics has been published in Critical
Correspondence, Contact Quarterly, Emergency Index by Ugly Duckling Presse,
Jewish Currents, BMC® Currents, Curate This, Journal of Dance & Somatic
Practices, and thINKingDANCE. She currently serves on the Earthdance Board
of Directors.