[PhiladelphiaDANCE.org Listserv] Apply for Artist Residency at Urban Movement Arts Summer 2018

Lily Kind lily at lilykind.org
Wed Apr 4 00:38:25 EDT 2018

Urban Movement Arts (UMA) is offering 2018 *summer residencies *for
dancers, choreographers, movement and/or performance artists that will take
place June - Sept 2018 at the UMA studios in downtown Philadelphia. We are
looking for artists eager to interact with our community and challenge the
technical, aesthetic, and conceptual assumptions of their genre. This
residency offers free studio space, a wide range of dance classes, artistic
feedback, and a small stipend. There will be a public showing of the
residents work, flexible in nature, at the end of the residency.

This residency is for dancers, choreographers, performance and movement
artists in any/multiple genres. We want to partner with artists prepared to
approach this residency as a laboratory space and research process. We*
will *consider artists in graduate school, but not undergraduates. Womxn,
POC, immigrants, and all artists working in intersecting or
under-represented disciplines are encouraged to apply. We have capacity for
two resident solo artists in summer of 2018. However, we are open to
collaborative duos or trios applying as together for one of the two
residency slots.

Dates:

   - The residency will span June - early September 2018. Exact dates are
   flexible.
   - *Applications are due by 6 pm EST May 7, 2018.*
   - Residents will be notified by May 18, 2018.
   - Public Performance expected weekend of September 7-9, which falls
   during the Philadelphia Fringe Festival.

The residency includes:

   - Free membership to Urban Movement Arts for the duration of the
   residency ($300 total value), allowing him/her/them to take unlimited
   classes in various movement disciplines. We hope residents will attend
   classes regularly.
   - 10 hours per week of studio time determined in collaboration with UMA
   staff. Available hours are: Mon - Friday 7 am- 2 pm and 9:30 pm to 12:30
   am. Studio time will be scheduled in advance via email sign up and a shared
   google calendar. Please read through the “Understandings” carefully.
   - $175 stipend upon completion of the residency.
   - Select members of the Urban Movement Arts staff are available to
   provide feedback within the artist process and advise in physical training
   methods.
   - Feedback sessions with panel of established local artists TBA

For more information, including application details, please visit
*www.urbanmovementarts.com
<http://www.urbanmovementarts.com> or see attached PDF.*
.

--