[PhiladelphiaDANCE.org Listserv] This Sunday: Group Motion presents The Spiel Uhr Series

Group Motion Dance Company company at groupmotion.org
Fri Jun 2 15:35:49 EDT 2017

​     ​
Group Motion presents new performance works this Sunday, June 4th, 7pm at
the CEC’s Meetinghouse Theater. Works include
​'​
Solo Not Alone
​'​
by San Francisco based choreographer Aura Fischbeck, and
​'​
Syria - A Fractal of We
​'​
with music and video by New York based composer Niloufar Nourbakhsh, dance
by the Group Motion Company, live music by Tom Motzer, and direction by
Manfred Fischbeck.

Who: Group Motion’s Spiel Uhr Series
When: June 4th, 7:00PM
Where: Meetinghouse Theater CEC, 3500 Lancaster Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19104
Cost: Tickets $20 and $15 (Students and Artists)
**Partial proceeds will be donated to
​ ​
UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency.

​     '​
Solo Not Alone
​'​
began as an inquiry into the collective nature of the individual. Ms.
​ ​
Fischbeck began her process by collecting choreographic prompts from
friends and
​ ​
mentors, which came about from a desire to feel herself as an artist
reconfigured
​ ​
through the lens of others; to decentralize herself inside of a solo
practice. She
​ ​
believes that we all perform for one another throughout our lives, having
moments
​ ​
center stage and on the sidelines, but that the two need one another to
co-exist. She
​ ​
invites you to witness her dance, and to complete the work by bringing
another layer of
​ ​
influence that is only yours to give.

​     ​
Directed by Manfred Fischbeck,
​'​
Syria - a fractal of WE
​'​
is an homage to the Syrian
​ ​
refugee crisis, and is inspired by a video with musical composition by
Niloufar
​ ​
Nourbakhsh. It divides into two parts: first, a solo is performed by
Mary-Carmen Webb
​ ​
that draws movement from images in the video; the second half includes group
​ ​
choreography based on those movements with live music by Tim Motzer.
Nourbakhsh
​ ​
says her video and composition “explores two ways of understanding the
complexity
​ ​
of the Middle East in mathematical terms: 1. The Middle East seems like a
fractal that
​ ​
keeps reproducing its flawed system; and 2. Humans altogether can be seen
as a
​ ​
fractal, and thus, we cannot be indifferent to the Syrian refugees’
crisis.”